Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I almost lost a finger to a snapper last year that ate a glo bug I was throwing for bluegill down in St. George....

In other news, up until then I had no clue how to tell the difference between a snapping turtle and a non-snapper.

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I'm gathering up my turtle recipes now.

I'm thinking a new fishing section on the Forum: "Reptiles and Amphibians"

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
1,666 Posts
Why are they illegal to catch or possess?

I have had turtle before and would love to have turtle again.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hip, hip, hooray!!!! Snapping Turtles found in the Weber River:

http://www.standard.net/Environment...ghtings-prompt-alert-in-Weber-River-area.html

I'll be down in 90 minutes.

Before you come all the way down here from Evanston, you may want to take another look at the last part of that article - "They're also illegal to possess."

WTF? Snapping turtle meat is absolutely delicious. When I was a kid growing up in Michigan, my Aunt Helen would always make several batches of turtle soup every summer from the snappers we used to catch for just that purpose. ****, that sure was some fine vitals. And some bozo in the Utah DWR decides we can't tolerate handling the increasing population of snappers by catching and eating them? Give me a break. -O,-

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow I caught a lot of snappers growing up in texas. I never thought that they would be good to eat?

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you come all the way down here from Evanston, you may want to take another look at the last part of that article - "They're also illegal to possess."

WTF? Snapping turtle meat is absolutely delicious. When I was a kid growing up in Michigan, my Aunt Helen would always make several batches of turtle soup every summer from the snappers we used to catch for just that purpose. ****, that sure was some fine vitals. And some bozo in the Utah DWR decides we can't tolerate handling the increasing population of snappers by catching and eating them? Give me a break. -O,-

I can't thank enough there Bob, I won't post any Utah Snapping Turtle stories then.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Hip, hip, hooray!!!! Snapping Turtles found in the Weber River:
I'll be down in 90 minutes.
Do we need to run for our lives because of the snappers or because Goob is beelining it to Utah faster than the speed limit to put the turtles on the menu? ;-)

Do snappers readily take hook and line intended for fish like the softshells do? Softshells used to drive me crazy at Lake Mead when I would fish cut baits for stripers and channel cats in the Overton arm. I would catch 1-3 nearly every time I'd fish.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
"Zillions of Utah hunters will be afield in the coming weeks. Many of these hunters have 2, 3, even 18 trail cams hanging over every piece of water in 3 states. And as you know turtles have taken over Wyoming and are lousy in Utah. That being said, odds are we're gonna have a bunch of turtles caught on trail cams.

So, please, everyone post your trail cam pics and videos of turtle sightings here."

I'm starting a thread about turtle sightings :mrgreen:.

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm gettin' the yo-yos out.

Wait a minute, they're illegal.

Uh...who cares, nobody in Utah knows what they are anyway.

ooh, ooh, top of da page!

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do we need to run for our lives because of the snappers or because Goob is beelining it to Utah faster than the speed limit to put the turtles on the menu? ;-)

I've decided to wait until tomorrow afternoon. It's a Friday and most of Davis County will be on the way to Wyoming then.

Do snappers readily take hook and line intended for fish like the softshells do? Softshells used to drive me crazy at Lake Mead when I would fish cut baits for stripers and channel cats in the Overton arm. I would catch 1-3 nearly every time I'd fish.

Softshells are nuts, but just as good to eat as snapper and easier to clean. Snappers are kinda nocturnal. Once in awhile they would get on a stringer of panfish hanging off a boat though. When they mate in the spring the males get out of one piece of water and walk on land to another in search of a mate. A lot of them got hit on the roads back where I come from during the mating season. They didn't lay there very long. :)
I'm thinkin' this is the biggest thing since Utah had Pink Floyd, the flamingo, hanging around the Great Salt Lake.

Reactions: Catherder

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Hold on there Bobalouie

R657-53-28. Classification and Specific Rules for Reptiles.
(9)(a) A person may collect and possess any number of common snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentina), alligator turtles (Macrochelys temminckii) or spiny softshell (Apalone spinifera) turtles without a certificate of registration provided they are either killed or released immediately upon removing them from the point of capture.

(b) A person may not transport a live common snapping turtle, alligator turtle or spiny softshell turtle from the point of capture from which it was collected without first obtaining a certificate of registration.
Come on down Goob. Catch them all. They're illegal to possess if they're alive. There's no limit on them if they're dead. Just like squirrels. No COR, no limit, legal 24/7/365 if they're dead.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: Dunkem

·
Senior Goof
3,584 Posts
I grew up near there. There are springs that are all along the river. One in particular had an old snapper for years. He was a legend. And huge. He was caught and thrown back in so many times. Then he got big and started chomping kids. Didn't catch him much then.

I just made a quick drive over there. I may or may not have had turtle soup straight out the shell for dinner.

·
Administrator
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I grew up near there. There are springs that are all along the river. One in particular had an old snapper for years. He was a legend. And huge. He was caught and thrown back in so many times. Then he got big and started chomping kids. Didn't catch him much then.

I just made a quick drive over there. I may or may not have had turtle soup straight out the shell for dinner.
yer killin me

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
R657-53-28. Classification and Specific Rules for Reptiles.
(9)(a) A person may collect and possess any number of common snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentina), alligator turtles (Macrochelys temminckii) or spiny softshell (Apalone spinifera) turtles without a certificate of registration provided they are either killed or released immediately upon removing them from the point of capture.
Thank you kindly Sir; I stand officially corrected. That's what I get for actually trusting that the Sub-standard Exaggerator would use due diligence when reporting a story. My bad!

Hey Wyogoob - come on down!

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hey, at least I'd never go hungry around Goob. Provided I could learn to eat the stuff he prepares. Dead turtles from the road kill cafe don't do much for me.

dubob,
It was less about correcting you, and more about gettin' the Goob to come down and eliminate some of those nasty snappers.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::shock:

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

Reactions: wyogoob
1 - 20 of 27 Posts