Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the consensus about this gun? Which version would be best for concealed carry, the 9 mm or .40? What about reliability and quality of build? Accuracy? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
The old ones were /are junk. Some feel the new ones are better. I would have no problem buying a Smith revolver, but their autos ................ a different story. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I had a older .40 Sigma, it was for the most part JUNK, horrible trigger, non adjustable sights that didn't shoot even close to point of aim, and didn't group well at any range. The new models of them don't seem to be any better to me.

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory XD 9mm and I like it. I have shot a XD .40 also. XD's are far superior to the Sigmas in every facet. IMO

As for caliber .40 hits a little harder, but the 9mm is cheaper to shoot, both will stop a person from harming you.

I carry my XD for my concealed carry weapon without any concealment problems.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The Sigma has had a poor reputation since shortly after its introduction. Some issues include a horrible trigger pull and sights hard to regulate. Law Enforcement, for the most part passed over it for the superior Glock. Price has dropped considerably and is very cheap right now with attractive rebates from S&W. Resale value is very poor. Everyone I know dumped theirs for something else, at a loss.
S&W introduced the much improved M&P line as a replacement and the Springfield XD series (as mentioned above) is far superior, as well as the Glock. Used Glocks go for more than new Sigmas - and for good reason.
Whatever pistol you decide on - I would personally get it in .40 S&W over 9mm. The guns are the same size so you might as well have a heavier hitter on your hip.

From another internet forum, PoliceLink, you get the general opinion of the Sigma:
my department transitioned to the M&P from the Smith & Wesson Sigma ( a real POS)...
Or the Sigma trigger issue:
...a heavy trigger pull based on a terrible trigger design. This trigger is extremely flimsy and delicate.
...the trigger pull. The trigger pull is so akward that it does really retard your shooting ability. I finally sold it, because I did not have any confidence in my shooting ability using this weapon. I have other guns with long double action trigger pulls and they dont have this effect on my shooting skills.
Trigger pull is awkward and heavy, leaves most anticipating the shot and more often than not missing the target.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I love Smith and Wesson, but stay clear of the sigma's. I had a model 908 that was an excellent handgun and it never misfired and was very accurate. The MP's look exceptional but I've never got the chance to try one.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Elkhuntingfool said:
Go with the M&P if you are going S&W
+1
I got the wife a M&P 9mm a couple of months ago. We handled several different ones in the store, she wanted the M&P 9mm. I personally didn't like how it felt in my hand, but her M&P does shoot well, and has a descent trigget pull. The wife loves hers, it fits her hands well and she shoots it well.

The M&P is leaps and bounds better than a Sigma, but still not in the XD's league. :wink:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mojo1 said:
Elkhuntingfool said:
Go with the M&P if you are going S&W
+1
I got the wife a M&P 9mm a couple of months ago. We handled several different ones in the store, she wanted the M&P 9mm. I personally didn't like how it felt in my hand, but her M&P does shoot well, and has a descent trigget pull. The wife loves hers, it fits her hands well and she shoots it well.

The M&P is leaps and bounds better than a Sigma, but still not in the XD's league. :wink:
I'm gonna have to try out one of the XD's myself so I can see what everyone is raving about. And I used to think Glock had a hard core following, but the XD's seem to really be the thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nibble Nuts said:
I'm gonna have to try out one of the XD's myself so I can see what everyone is raving about. And I used to think Glock had a hard core following, but the XD's seem to really be the thing.
The Glock is an apple. But a soft, semi-bruised apple that's a little mushy. The XD is a nice, crisp apple right off the tree! How's that for a comparison???

Seriously, the XD is superior to the Glock in only a couple areas, as far as I can tell:

Reliability: Equal
Durability: Equal
Acuracy: Equal

The XD has better natural sight alignment.
The angle of the barrel vs. the slide is better (faster target acquisition).
The XD is prettier. :D
Slightly less felt recoil from the XD.

·
Registered
642 Posts
More on the XD vs. Glock issue (I have both) and would agree with tapehoser.

The XD has conventional rifling which allows you to shoot lead bullets for cheaper practice. The Glock has polygonal rifling which is not recommended for lead bullets. Nothing wrong with polygonal - it can make more velocity, but has this possible drawback.

The XD has a fully-supported chamber which is more reload-friendly than the less supported chamber of the Glock. Basically a non-issue with factory ammo. This is mostly noticeable in .40 & .45 cals where on rare occasions hot reloads would blow out the case in the non-supported area and possibly ruin the gun. The Glock has improved in this issue over the last few years, and originally the generous chamber cutout was done to improve feeding reliability with the short, fat .40 S&W but is much less now for more support. All in all, the XD is better for the reloader.

The XD has a crisper trigger, but the Glock has a quicker reset for the 2nd shot.

The Glock Tennifer finish is somewhat superior to the Melonite finish of the XD. Early XDs lacked Melonite and were blued.

The XD loaded chamber indicator can stick when the mechanism gets dirty and needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Especially an issue when a lot of lead bullets are shot. The Glock has no such indicator, but the extractor sticks out further when the chamber is loaded.

Most feel the XD has a nicer grip angle and less square grip. I personally do fine with either however. The XD45 really is very soft shooting and holds 13 rds. of .45 in a grip no larger than the 15-rd G22 .40!

Really the XD was basically patterned after the successful Glock and, by virtue of coming into the game much later, made some nice minor adjustments to the general format and came up with a winner. S&W failed the first time with the Sigma generation 1 & 2, and now are trying with a total-makeover third generation M&P.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thanks for the info. I really like the MP's and have thought it would be nice to get one someday, but I think now I will try the MP and an XD before I buy another handgun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts