Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While in the hills, I found this dead Moose. It seemed to be dead for a relatively short time since it looked very plump and life like. I phoned the DWR for them to investigate. They said it appeared to be natural causes, (whatever they may be). A week later I stopped to see what a week of decay had done. This was ONE week to the day and it is amazing what flies had done to a moose carcas is just one week. My original finding had a few flies landing on it and a bunch around the mouth and anus but NO maggots. A week later there were soooooo many maggots. I kept trying to count them but lost count at about THOUSANDS each time. haha :) I thought it was cool enough watching nature at it's finest in the disposal process that I felt to share. I had some video of the maggots but I don't know how to load them.
Carnivore Organism Plant Terrestrial animal Snout
Grass Terrestrial animal Bedrock Sporting Group Soil

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wowza!😲 How did you stumble upon that beast? It looks like it is in really think cover.
It actually didn't stink at all when I found it. I just happened to see it's black body above the vegitation and it looked out of place. I did my double take to realize it was an animal. I looked through my binos although it was only 25 yards away and could see it was for sure a moose. I still expected it to stand up so I had my camera ready but I quickly learned that dead moose don't stand up. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts