Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How thick does the ice need to be in order to take a Quad out safely? Do you put chains on your quad or is 4x4 good enough?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Six inches and for the chains, really depends on the amount of snow is on the ice. This time of the the year the slush shouldn't be a problem at all. A few inches would probably be ok but a foot or more of snow could cause traction problems.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Google 'safe ice thicknesses' and check out several of the state websites and the Old Farmers Almanac website for specific recommendations.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There's nothing quite like the adventure of the unknown when taking a quad out onto the ice! Many feel there's more adrenaline in this part of ice fishing than the actual fishing itself!

My friend was cruising out across some ice on the Gorge one time and hit a slush puddle deep enough that he actually thought he was goin' under. He dove off the quad only to observe that his throttle was frozen, and then had true excitement as he watched his 4 wheeler head out across the ice sheet at around 15 MPH with all his gear in tow.

This is why he now recommends stretching prior to any ice fishing excursion. It's all fun and games until someone pulls a hammy.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
The TV news this morning had a section on house dogs falling through the ice out in Tooele. Didn't look fun at all. Be carefull out there you guys.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Al Hansen said:
The TV news this morning had a section on house dogs falling through the ice out in Tooele. Didn't look fun at all. Be carefull out there you guys.
Where in Tooele was it Al. I hope it wasn't my dog. Nope there both here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts