Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year when things get more dangerous for us waterfowlers. Please take the extra time to make sure you have the proper gear for the cold weather conditions.

There were a few things that happened this last week. I read about 3 local guys in a over loaded boat that got swamped and sunk, maybe you guys know who it was. Anyway I read that they were all hypethermic and needed attention.
Now today I read this story: http://fox13now.com/2015/12/27/teen...er-being-separated-from-friend-while-hunting/

I had a couple of things happen to me over the last week or so too. One thing was I cut the hell out of my finger on my prop. I was untangling some weeds that wrapped around the shaft and whammo! Ran my finger across the prop edge. The second accident that happened I was standing up and saw a flock of ducks coming, I dropped to the ground and ran a cattail stem right up my nostril. That ended my day because I couldn't stop the bleeding and I didn't know exactly how bad it was because it was so cold and my face was numb.

I now have a first aid kit that will be with me at all times when out hunting.
(should have had it before)

Just take a few extra minutes guys and be prepared as much as possible. Don't overload your boats, don't forget to layer clothing, wear face masks, gloves and warm boots.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I read about this kid today and was amazed. Amazed he was able to hoof it from OB to Antelope Causway in the dark, in the frozen marsh, after being out all day... That would be one heck of a walk. That kid is lucky he had his youth going for him!! Thank god he made it through the ordeal. I know I wouldn't have made it if it was half that bad. Sorry to hear about your finger Rob, hope it didn't get too deep :?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Over the years, I've learned in one way or another (usually the hard way) to carry a compass, pain meds, a first aid kid, and often a GPS with me in the field, as well as extra clothing and water back at the truck. Things can really go south in a hurry, even if you're being careful.

I'm glad to hear of a happy ending in the case of the lost boy. Nothing short of a miracle IMO if the news reporting is accurate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also be very aware of your dogs condition if your taking them out in this cold. There bird drive can lead them into real problems real fast. Wet and wind can be disaster.

Spry

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I can't think of a worse place to spend an unexpected night in the wilds than a cold and frozen swamp. No dry place to sit, only swamp vegetation as shelter from the wind, I can understand why the kid wandered all night. Hats off to him for doing what he had to do to survive.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
It's that time of year when things get more dangerous for us waterfowlers. Please take the extra time to make sure you have the proper gear for the cold weather conditions.

There were a few things that happened this last week. I read about 3 local guys in a over loaded boat that got swamped and sunk, maybe you guys know who it was. Anyway I read that they were all hypethermic and needed attention.
Now today I read this story: http://fox13now.com/2015/12/27/teen...er-being-separated-from-friend-while-hunting/

I had a couple of things happen to me over the last week or so too. One thing was I cut the hell out of my finger on my prop. I was untangling some weeds that wrapped around the shaft and whammo! Ran my finger across the prop edge. The second accident that happened I was standing up and saw a flock of ducks coming, I dropped to the ground and ran a cattail stem right up my nostril. That ended my day because I couldn't stop the bleeding and I didn't know exactly how bad it was because it was so cold and my face was numb.

I now have a first aid kit that will be with me at all times when out hunting.
(should have had it before)

Just take a few extra minutes guys and be prepared as much as possible. Don't overload your boats, don't forget to layer clothing, wear face masks, gloves and warm boots.
I actually always carried a spare prop too. My dad once was changing a shear pin and the prop slipped out of his hands in 12 feet of really cold water. Was a long paddle back until we got a tow. I never dropped one but did drop a pair of pliers once changing a shear pin. Always had 2-3 of every tool I would need in my boat. One time we were coming back from duck hunting and a front came in early and caught us out. We got to the main lake we had to cross and the waves were a good 3 feet high. We stopped in a cove and tied the guns, tool box and gas tank to the boat in case we capsized. I had the other two hunters sit on the floor of the boat, tighten up their life jackets and hang onto the flotation cushions we used to sit on. We all took off our boots too. It took a very long time to cross that lake but luckily we could head directly into the waves to cross it. The front of the boat would pitch up and all I could see from sitting and driving in the rear was sky until the boat would slap back down between the peaks of the waves. I doubt we were going much more than 3-5 mph at the most. That was pretty much my scariest moment hunting that I can remember.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Over the years, I've learned in one way or another (usually the hard way) to carry a compass, pain meds, a first aid kid, and often a GPS with me in the field, as well as extra clothing and water back at the truck. Things can really go south in a hurry, even if you're being careful.

I'm glad to hear of a happy ending in the case of the lost boy. Nothing short of a miracle IMO if the news reporting is accurate.
I always carried 2-3 compasses. When you get disoriented it's very easy to not trust the compass but when 2 or 3 of them are pointing in the same direction it takes all the apprehension out of trusting them. Down south where you can't see 100 yards distance in the woods and it all looks the same in every direction, becoming disoriented is extremely easy.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Good points you guys, and I'd like to add ice to the list of dangers-nothing makes me more nervous in the late season than ice and moving water. Even with a little bit of current big ice sheets can come down river like a bulldozer and flatten everything in their path-if you're going to hunt the ice, make sure you know where the channels are and have a plan for getting out. I hunt the ice a lot but only in spots where I know the bottom like the back of my hand. If you break through the ice in water deeper than you can touch then you are pretty well screwed. Same goes for your dog-the scariest moment I've ever had with my Chessie was when he was a pup and we were jump shooting a river-I shot a duck on a deep bend with ice all around and he broke and jumped in to retrieve it, and couldn't get back out. It was a scary 10 minutes or so until I was able to break enough ice around a sandbar downstream that he could follow my path and get back out-that day ended with both of us soaked and covered in ice! He never dropped the bird though/ :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sometimes when faced with a big storm it's just better to stay off the water.

They are still looking for two guys at Kaw Lake down in here in Ok. Despite numerous warnings of the the thunderstorms that were coming in on this "Winter Storm Giolith" these 2 went out on the lake on the 26th as that storm was rolling in, in fact they tweeted "if you don't hear from us, we went to kill some ducks in the face of Gioloith", even hashtaged it as into the storm. when family hadn't heard from them they called it in, so far searchers have found thier capsized boat but no sign of them.
smh

I was in one of my deer stands when it hit, and I'm not easily ran out but I quickly hauled my butt into the house, it was quite the blow

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Wow Rob glad that reed didn't get your eye!!!

Reactions: Fowlmouth
1 - 11 of 11 Posts