Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might go pick one up from the country store tonight and was wondering if I should get just the pure salt one or the one with trace minerals in it?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Redmans 44 lb mineral blocks.

less than six bucks apiece.

Ive got antelope herds blowing through a block every 5-6 weeks!

UNREAL:!:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Deer Caine or Deer co- Caine. Liquid or powder. 700 pictures per week don't lie. If cattle are present, not so good. I start in early June and reapply every other weekend. Deer and elk hammer it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redmans 44 lb mineral blocks.

less than six bucks apiece.

Ive got antelope herds blowing through a block every 5-6 weeks!

UNREAL:!:
Where do I buy such awesomeness?

Deer Caine or Deer co- Caine. Liquid or powder. 700 pictures per week don't lie. If cattle are present, not so good. I start in early June and reapply every other weekend. Deer and elk hammer it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get the redman blocks at the feed store. Ifa, cal ranch, etc..... The deer Caine you can find at sportsmans or on line. I like the deer Caine black magic stuff that doesn't require mixing with water.
Do they sell it at that country store off 500 South?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Se-90 blocks in conjunction with iodized cobalt blocks(the blue ones) They will chew on the Se-90 blocks(literally leave teeth marks), and after a certain point they will then go after the iodized cobalt blocks.

Cal Ranch carries Se-90 blocks. I have literally bought one ton of mineral salt this year, and put it out in 4 counties. I think I've done side by side tests with just about everything out there now.

Are you putting it out for deer or elk? Because this mostly applies to deer. The standard red colored trace mineral blocks seem to be just fine for elk. When I was doing side by side tests last year we were getting 500-1500 pictures every two days. With some locations getting hits by deer, elk, antelope, moose, porcupines, and birds. Like has been mentioned, you need start early, they are going to start losing interest real quick.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be using it for elk, but there are cattle and deer in the area as well.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I would be using it for elk, but there are cattle and deer in the area as well.
Cattle: They have a tendency to mess things up, especially salt licks. If you know an area well, and know when they turn the cattle out, and when they take them off, you can work around this to a degree. Figure out where the elk are, and where the cattle are not. And then get your salt in before the cattle. Too late this year, but keep it in mind for next year.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cattle: They have a tendency to mess things up, especially salt licks. If you know an area well, and know when they turn the cattle out, and when they take them off, you can work around this to a degree. Figure out where the elk are, and where the cattle are not. And then get your salt in before the cattle. Too late this year, but keep it in mind for next year.
Problem is the cattle are up there from spring until snow is on the ground, which in recent years is well past the rifle season. But there may be a few spots that are not as accessible for the cows.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Elk are not bothered by cows and will visit the salt. Biggest problem is you would be helping out those welfare ranchers ;-)
Really just don't put where you don't want the ground torn up and not close to water.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elk are not bothered by cows and will visit the salt. Biggest problem is you would be helping out those welfare ranchers ;-)
Really just don't put where you don't want the ground torn up and not close to water.
I would likely place it in the bottom of a draw where I know there is regular elk traffic.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would likely place it in the bottom of a draw where I know there is regular elk traffic.
Better not be in a designated wilderness. You go ahead and call the Forest Service office and see what they tell you about hauling salt into a wilderness area. I know that you hunt 'deep in the wilderness' so it may be a problem for ya--leave no trace...minerals

You already have a huge advantage over everyone else--why in the world do you need salt? Not being a smarty pants--just really want to know.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Better not be in a designated wilderness. You go ahead and call the Forest Service office and see what they tell you about hauling salt into a wilderness area. I know that you hunt 'deep in the wilderness' so it may be a problem for ya--leave no trace...minerals

You already have a huge advantage over everyone else--why in the world do you need salt? Not being a smarty pants--just really want to know.
I wouldn't be hunting over it, just to set up a camera to see what all is coming through there.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Yeah, that's why all the elk I was watching a month ago moved 2 miles away when the sheep and cattle were turned in?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts