Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to place salt blocks or apples on a private piece of land that I want to hunt deer on?
I am curious what you think about the ethics of doing so if it is legal. I think I could debate either side.
I have hunted big game in Utah for 25 years in Utah, fairly successfully and it has never crossed my mind until I seen some guys in a local feed store buying blocks to set out for the bow hunt. At first I though I should turn them in then I wondered if it was legal. Then I thought it could be nice to have a little edge on a new hunting area. Then I thought I already have quite an edge.
Anyway just want to hear your thoughts. Not trying to fire anyone up just wondering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have putting salt blocks on my land as well. Not sure if it is legal or not as well, but I have been doing it for a long time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In Utah it's perfectly legal to bait big game. Salt licks, hay bales, grain, whatever. Just make sure you aren't hunting water fowl over your bait spots. Bear, cougar and water fowl have their own rules so beware.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
They come in very handy for setting up a game camera to see what you have in the area for animals, I haven't done this yet but sounds like a good idea. But if there are domestic animals like cows or horses around they will also use it.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used salt likes for my trail camera's. I have never set them out and hunted over them. They are great to get the animals to linger in front of the camera to get some great shots and video. Here are a couple pics of a bull using my salt like. A word of warring if there is any livestock around you better have a big SD card in you camera. They will move in and stay in that area unit the lick is gone. :grin:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts