Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was lucky enough to pull an expo tag this year for the San Juan. I’ve been debating on even hunting the opening week or staying home and focusing on the last few weeks towards the rut. Any thoughts? Anyone archery hunted the unit? I would guess I’d have to sit water those first weeks. If anyone is open to sharing some general info I’d appreciate it!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I think you hunt when you can on a tag like that. If you have time to go and scout and pattern a couple bulls, the best chance to kill them might just be in the first few days of the hunt.

If you don't have as much time to go down and scout, then maybe getting closer to the rut would be beneficial.

The real answer, in my opinion, is still just hunt when you can when you strike gold and get a tag like that. It is not likely to happen again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vanilla and High Desert, I appreciate the responses. Especially since its my first post. I've been a long reader, just never posted. Vanilla, if I'm not mistaken you have quite a few points saved for this unit, correct? I'm with ya, that the more time spent equates to better opportunities. Can't kill anything from the couch or camp.. Unfortunately, work might not give me as much time off as I'd prefer so just debating on some things.

High Desert, if you don't draw, i'd def appreciate that PM. Again, i know that nobody wants to give out GPS cords and i get that. But if anyone has any info on water etc I'd appreciate it. As for scouting goes, i know i can find them and locate them easily but i don't know the unit and don't know what the herd will do once summer changes to mid August-Sept.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
tgurn7- yes, I have 20 points. Most years they been utilized in the draw for the San Juan. A couple times I deviated, and tried a different unit, but this year they are back on the SJ. I have dreamed of hunting elk on that unit ever since we did a family muzzy deer hunt down there 15+ years ago. Some of the bulls we saw just made my jaw drop. And listening to the screams all night around camp...I still get a smile thinking about it. One day, maybe. I am not too far from the muzzy tag down there, but I still dream to hunt it with a rifle in hand. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Vanilla - don't discount the muzzy hunts for LE elk. Dates are better and success rates are just about as good as rifle. For rifle you might have to wait another 10 years when you could be hunting those elk in the near present. Just think, tag in hand chasing screaming bulls that keep you up at night. Doesn't get much better!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It's no secret why the SJ tag is a tough one to draw. I have been within 40 yds of 360 class bulls with a GS archery tag in my pocket many times and have seen bigger as well.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Vanilla - don't discount the muzzy hunts for LE elk. Dates are better and success rates are just about as good as rifle. For rifle you might have to wait another 10 years when you could be hunting those elk in the near present. Just think, tag in hand chasing screaming bulls that keep you up at night. Doesn't get much better!
Great advice. It's definitely not out of the cards. I'm still a couple years away from the SJ muzzy. When I reach the top point pool I will have a decision to make. Or I can just go hunt Pahvant muzzy next year... (Horrible problem to have, I know!)

There is no doubt that a tag in hand on that unit, any tag in hand, is going to be a special experience. Heck, I didn't tag out on my general deer tag all those years ago and I still think about that hunt in particular a ton! It's a special place, for sure.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We have had 400" bulls from the SJ come into our meat processing and taxidermy shop. Not many places in the U.S. you can shoot a bull of that caliber for the price, even for a NR.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Archery
NE of the Bears Ears.
I know some water holes that are unreal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great advice. It's definitely not out of the cards. I'm still a couple years away from the SJ muzzy. When I reach the top point pool I will have a decision to make. Or I can just go hunt Pahvant muzzy next year... (Horrible problem to have, I know!)

There is no doubt that a tag in hand on that unit, any tag in hand, is going to be a special experience. Heck, I didn't tag out on my general deer tag all those years ago and I still think about that hunt in particular a ton! It's a special place, for sure.
Vanilla, did you draw a tag for the unit or anything else? Just curious if you did and how many points you had

1 - 20 of 40 Posts