Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've taken my best fish there with crankbaits. The day i was there it didn't even matter what color you threw. They smacked it all. I also got fish on maribou jigs, senkos, and curly tails. All of the above worked equally well at quail creek. I don't really fish much for largies this time of year, although i did catch some through the ice today. I'd fish a jig and pig or senko low and slow...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sand Hollow is my favorite place to fly fish for bass and bluegills. Just don't wet wade because there is swimmers itch present at times of the year.

Try divers, poppers, and buggers in larger sizes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Color seems not to matter as much as action. I have done well with foam poppers in black, green, chartruese, and yellow. An olive and chartruese diver took the one in the pic. Just experement with your retrieve and see what they react to. They often hit the poppers when you pause them for several seconds after a noisy strip. I like the morning there before the wind comes up. It is easy to spot fish and you can sight fish to them so you know if they like your presentation or not.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ScottyP said:
Color seems not to matter as much as action. I have done well with foam poppers in black, green, chartruese, and yellow. An olive and chartruese diver took the one in the pic. Just experement with your retrieve and see what they react to. They often hit the poppers when you pause them for several seconds after a noisy strip. I like the morning there before the wind comes up. It is easy to spot fish and you can sight fish to them so you know if they like your presentation or not.
+1. I have noticed with bass, action is much more important than color. Some colors seem to have a slight edge, but if the action is right, they will take almost anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sand Hallow is one of the best fisheries in the state. This time of the year it's defenitely a excersise in patience. There's always a few fish shallow, but the majority are holding deeper at this time of year. 20-50ft deep is where i'd be looking.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I like to hit it in may or early june (long drive for me) and hit some trout waters as well. Windy days there are a pain in the arse though. They don't call it Hurrakin fer nuthin.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Winter is in my opinion the worst time to fish for bass, only because it tests your patience to no end. That said it is possible to catch fish, you just have to fish everything slow and on the bottom. So slow that it takes you about 3 or 4 minutes on each cast. Try a drop shot with chartreuse grub, or a small dark colored worm. Fly fishing might work, but i think most of the fish are gonna be away from wading distance, and definitely on the bottom. Drop shotting is perfect for winter fishing, because you're always fishing the bottom, and it's slow method of fishing. Use a big weight (1/2 or 3/4 oz.) so you can feel the bottom better.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Chris, you're killing me. I am already as impatient as it gets for spring to come and that picture reminds me of why. I may have to hit Quail or Sand Hollow after my planned trip to Powell this year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's always worth the trip. Quail was nonstop this year until about mid August, and Sand Hollow was much the same. I caught more bass over 4 pounds this year then all of my fishing years combined. Those Sand Hollow fish will be 5 and 6 pounds this year, so there's some extra motivation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am headed down this weekend. I would like to hit Sand Hollow or Quail. Can anyone give me any advice?
I think I will bring my float tube.
Not fly fishin and probably drop shot. How far off the bottom should I be putting my senko worm.
Would a real worm better my chances at this time?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Make your tag end from your hook to the weight about a foot. If the fish are more aggressive go with more than that, but i doubt they will be in January. Use a smaller bait if the senko doesn't fly. Try a grub or tube on the dropshot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Sand Hollow?????

This may be a little late in coming but those that have a boat, toon, or tube can start getting prespawn fish by mid March (that's less than a month). I have fished Quail and Sand Hollow for the past three years between March 15th and April 15th with great success. The snow pak is over 100% for the Virgin drainage (KSL.com) so we should get some full lakes this year. I hope there is some color to the water so the big fish feel safe and come shallow. One year the water was real milky and if the boat was in more than six feet of water we didnt get bit. I was pitching dark plastics in two feet of water and catching everything in the bushes.

I would have to agree Christopher and his big fish year. It was my best year for big fish in southern and central Utah as well. A friend and I fished Gunlock, Sand Hollow, Quail, Powell, and Jordanellel throughout 2007 and caught a good share of fish over six pounds from fall 2006 to fall 2007. I hope this year is better.

HockeyMan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts