Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a friendly reminder to be extra careful before pulling the trigger. If this year is anything like last year, I'll be letting dozens fly by in the coming weeks. :cry:

I'd personally rather see them closed the first few weeks of the season than the last few.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
It's kind of dumb how the scaup season works. The bulk of the birds are here now. I saw thousands last year after it closed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same here guys. The people or person setting the season dates are more worried about a handful being shot the first couple of weeks than the crap loads, shot after the season is closed to be wanton waste. I know it has been proposed to either implement a split or start the season a few weeks later but like most things it fell on deaf ears! Lots of opportunity for scaup in the next couple of weeks that just got taken away!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yep, we had a group of 50 in the decoys this morning. Another tough thing about having them closed late in the year is that they often will group up with ringnecks, and we've had a few shoots where you really have to be picky with your shots! I really don't understand how Idaho can have their closed weeks in the beginning of the season and we can't seem to do the same thing.

Reactions: LostLouisianian

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Pumpgunner,
The people or person that sets the limits and dates in Idaho obviously know what's going on and sets the dates accordingly. In my opinion a PhD or degree isn't necessarily needed maybe just some common sense.
Or some actual hands-on experience, or even an ability to listen to local waterfowlers? I know that the DWR did a good job of listening to the concerns of Utah waterfowlers when they put a limit on wood ducks, so I don't see how getting the bluebill season changed could be any different.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Back when pintails were on a shortened season a couple guys petitioned the RAC to move the closure to the beginning and they did. Even a split would be better, IMHO.
Later,
Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts