Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's Mountain Time!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everybody's opinion on Scent-Lok? Do you swear by it and think it really works or not worth it? My personal opinion is no matter what if the wind is at your back it's not going to make a difference, but thought I'd get other people's input on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never used the stuff personally, never had the extra money laying around to pay for it. My parents both use it for whitetails and find it effective for keeping the scent to a minimum (NOTHING is PERFECT). I often wonder if the animals can smell the carbon tho. I have found the use of cover scents (pine,earth,estrus) work just as well to tame their noses or at least minimize their fear.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Over priced. have found when hunting with a bow. use some baking soda, keep the wind in you favor.animals will still bust you.but tons cheaper. also take your time on a stalk, have stalked bucks up to an hour got within 80 yards. BOOM!~GONE..I also believe in some sents.. cow crap,, sheep crap, in a cheese cloth pouch on my belt. and sent:D:D free soaps. and the glands off a deers leg.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you start sweating bad, there's no fixing that. However I have had the wind blowing right into a bulls face with him screaming at me.I had some of those cow urine wafers on me. Worked amazingly well. Of course the best option is wind in your face. Sadly in the mountains of Utah this is nearly impossible. When you think your good...it will shift.

·
It's Mountain Time!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I agree with all your thoughts. Stalk slow and use the wind and cover to your advantage is the best bet and not rely on any scent-lok cover. Or if you know the habits and timing of the animal you're going for just get in position and let him come to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts