Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us fished Scofield yesterday from 8:30 until 3:00 in our tubes. We launched on the east side where you can drive down to the water. We picked up four rainbows all around 13” – 14”, one 13” tiger trout, and the rest cutthroats from 10” to 18”, and between eight and ten chubs, all around 12”.

We used medium sinking lines with size 6 and 8 bead head leeches in olive, black, and brown. Bead head soft hackles on size 8 hooks in black/orange/pearl, tan/green/pearl, and black/copper.

The water temperature was 68 -72 degrees and the visibility in the water of only about 4’ because of algae in the water column. The reservoir level is at 37% full and going down.

There were a couple of other kick boats and two guys on pontoons along with a few shore anglers and a handful of boats. I saw the folks in one of the boats catching some fish and one shore angler but overall not many fish being caught. There were some midges on the water early and damsels showed up later in the day.

The weather was decent with a few sprinkles and not much wind but for all the fish we saw on our finders we thought the fishing would be better. I think the fish have too much of the real thing to eat so they weren’t much interested in our flies.

P1070161(2).JPG P1070162(2).JPG P1070166(2).JPG P1070167(2).JPG P1070168(2).JPG P1070171(2).JPG

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Thought I remembered seeing something about the water in Scofield.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I remembered seeing something about the water in Scofield.

I'm glad you brought that up. Yeah, I saw when they put out the advisory for the bloom. Scofield seems to have them about every year, it's just earlier than normal this year because of the high temperatures we've had.

One thing, it cuts down on the skiers and wave runners. ;) Although some of those kids in the shore photo were splashing around in it when we left at 3:00.:(

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Nice report.

From the pictures, the water level doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it might be. Was that the case or has it dropped a lot since you were there last?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice report.

From the pictures, the water level doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it might be. Was that the case or has it dropped a lot since you were there last?
The pictures are from yesterdays trip, and your right the level is not all that bad for Scofield.

The level is 11' lower than this time last year but it is higher than it was this time of year between 2013 and 2016.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts