Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a late Scofield report that I thought you all might enjoy.

My son and I finally made it out for our 1st ice fishing trip of the season. We went to Scofield to target trout. We were using small white jigs tipped with either meal worms or night crawlers. The catching wasn't super fast, but it was consistent the entire time we were there for 13"-17" trout. The vast majority of those were cutts, but we did land 3-4 rainbows. No tiger trout were caught, but we did land a different kind of tiger.

A little after noon, I switched from nightcrawlers to a meal worms as it seemed my son was catching a few more fish on meal worms. The second drop down the hole with a meal worm I saw a fish hit my jig on the way down. I flipped my bail and set the hook and was really confused as soon as I set the hook as my rod doubled over and didn't budge. In the past when I've had this happen it's been because I was snagged on something. I spent the next 15-20 seconds (felt a lot longer than that) trying to figure-out if I was snagged on something or what was going on, but I was getting enough movement in my rod to know I wasn't snagged. It was about that time that I looked down my hole and saw the big pike shaped head below. My son also saw it and started to freak out and get excited. I think his exact words of advice to me were, "Dad, don't choke"! It's also about the time the tiger muskie decided he didn't like what was going on and ran back down to the bottom. After some more coaxing, I got him up to the hole and even got his head started out of the hole before he made another run. After another minute of working him back up, I was able to get his head out of the hole again and get a hold of him behind the gill plate. That was no small feat as I only had on 4lb test and a 6" hole. I was very lucky that the jig just lipped him so those nasty teeth didn't cut my line.

The only thing I can think of was that my small jig bonked him on the head as it was on the way down and ticked him off enough to bite it. I knew there were tiger muskies in Scofield, but I have never seen or heard any firsthand reports of anyone catching any so it was definitely a big surprise to land this guy. Needless to say, it will be a fish story my son and I will be telling for a long time!

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow that's a dandy. Scofield can surprise you.

I'm glad your son was there to share in the excitement.

Thanks for sharing the pic and report.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
724 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts