Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit up scofield last night for a few hours. I got there at 2 or 3 and fished till 7. The fishing was slow till I moved and talked to a couple of guys and they showed me what they were using. I started catching a few and got caught up in the moment and forgot to open the tent doors to let the carbon monoxide(?) out then I noticed my lantern was getting very dim so I grabbed my other bottle of propane and twisted the one I thought was empty off. I put the new one on then tried to light it. My lighter would not light. I started to get a very bad head ach. So I decided to bag it I opened the door and about fell over with all the oxegen going into my lungs. I was to cold to fold the tent up so I drug it while it was set up to the truck. It was the hardest thing I think I have ever done I could not breath I almost pased out a dozen or so times. when I got to the truck I lit the lantern and it worked just fine. I think because it had oxegen to light. I got in the truck and started it got warmed up. Jumped out and packed it all up and drove home with a pounding head ach. So lesson is dont forget to vent the tent while burning propane.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,234 Posts
lionhunter, I'm glad you got outa mess okay...That propane is some can be some terrible stuff. Of course any fuel needs fresh air to work correctly...
I think you must be doing something right to be able to walk away from that and still talk about it....It's a good reminder for the rest of us.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Dude. Your are lucky to be telling us this. Much longer in that tent and you would have been a goner. That is why they say it is a silent killer. You don't know whats hit you till its to late. Glade your okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
You came so close to dying man! A catalytic propane heater is what I use. They are indoor safe and don't put off carbon monoxide. My black cat catalytic heater was a little over $50 at Sportsman's. Regardless, you still need to let air in as all burners use up oxygen to burn.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top