Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have a General Deer tag, though I don't know for which unit yet. I'll be driving from Ohio to Utah and would love to have a second tag in my pocket.

Here are a few of my thoughts-

Nevada Mule Deer (hunt the Rubies or somewhere on the East side of the state where I get a leftover.

UT general elk tag and shoot a cow or spike.- I know the success rate is like 4-10% or something but it'd be fun. I was looking at North Slope but don't really have any info on elk.

I have a good amount of time to hunt and don't mind eating a tag. I figure if I'm driving a total of 40+ hrs, $393 for another tag isn't a big deal.

I should also add I'll be hunting the opener. Planning on arriving in UT on August 13th.

Opinions please?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's the Wasatch unit I'd buy a cow elk control tag. They are unlimited and I hear there are cow elk everywhere on the unit.
Really Mcfly the guy is driving from Ohio, why ya gotta feed him the same line the DWR is feeding us? The numbers are not there, so don't waste your money on a Wasatch cow tag. IMHO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It will be archery and hunting the first 10-14 days of season- so I think NV and UT are my only options. Just trying to decide from there. I've heard there are a ton of elk on the Wasatch until I talk to people who actually hunt it lol. Sounds like Ohio and Utah have the same DNR playbook! I dunno if you guys know this but we have a 160" whitetail behind every tree if you ask the ODNR

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Really Mcfly the guy is driving from Ohio, why ya gotta feed him the same line the DWR is feeding us? The numbers are not there, so don't waste your money on a Wasatch cow tag. IMHO
Because it's true. If you're hunting the unit anyway why not have a cow tag in your pocket? Maybe you should hunt the unit before believing what you read here. I know with my tags I'll have a control tag in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
What unit? It probably doesn't matter too much, but it will make a difference on how far you may need to travel to hunt the other game. If it were me, I'd buy a General Season Archery Elk Permit and give it a shot. You can archery hunt in both Any Bull units and Spike only units. Most General Season Units allow you to shoot a qualifying bull or an antlerless elk. I feel it is easiest to kill an elk with a bow the first 2 weeks of the season. Bring your fishing pole and hit some of the great lakes/streams in the down times.

I wouldn't want an archery hunt in NV at the same time. Learning 2 new areas in 10 days seems like a recipe for failure on both tags. Just me though...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What unit? It probably doesn't matter too much, but it will make a difference on how far you may need to travel to hunt the other game. If it were me, I'd buy a General Season Archery Elk Permit and give it a shot. You can archery hunt in both Any Bull units and Spike only units. Most General Season Units allow you to shoot a qualifying bull or an antlerless elk. I feel it is easiest to kill an elk with a bow the first 2 weeks of the season. Bring your fishing pole and hit some of the great lakes/streams in the down times.

I wouldn't want an archery hunt in NV at the same time. Learning 2 new areas in 10 days seems like a recipe for failure on both tags. Just me though...
If I were cool enough to bow hunt, this is what I'd do! Depending on the area of the first tag of course.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put in for a Wasatch deer unit and North slope.

Definitely bringing the fly rod. I appreciate the input guys! keep it coming! Once I figure out which unit for deer I'll start asking for honey holes and gps coordinates for elk ;-)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If you really want two tags and have the time to hunt, grab an archery elk tag. That will allow you the flexibility to hunt either species. There are elk on the Wasatch...just not the insane numbers of years past.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! I think that's the plan. If I tag a deer early I might head to The North Slope unit for elk- mainly because I want to fish all those little lakes! Then again, if I've seen elk on Wasatch, I'll probably chase them there.

Is it better to hunt the elk over water from a tree in the early season or spot/stalk?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts