Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you venture over in the "For Sale" section of the forum you'll find a guy selling slate turkey calls. I bought one and used it almost exclusively on the UWC Youth Turkey Hunt.

It worked! In fact it worked so nice I bought another one. These calls have great tone and are VERY well made right here in Utah. Give em a try!

Turkey blood on my new turkey call. :p How romantic it that!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Shameless Plug for Weasel Brad Game Calls!

Way to go!!!!!! :O||: Thanks for the "shameless" plug. :oops: I have 25 calls finished and another 50 more blanks prepped for turning. Besides that I have back-up stock to make many, many more. I suppose I should post a few more????
At any rate, as a call maker, nothing is more satisfying than seeing the results of successful hunts. The smile on that young hunters' face is priceless!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

I second the shameless plug. I love mine...Great sound, great craftsmanship, and local made...how great is that???

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

I was just getting on here to ask about turkey calls.

Weasel-- PM sent.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

I was over looking at Weasel's site and was wondering, does the type of wood that is used make a difference to the area hunted?

·
Registered
181 Posts

Not really. A call that works on the West coast will work in the Rocky Mtns. Great Plains or the East coast. More important (at least to me) is matching the striker (sound wise) to a particular call. It's nice to have the striker made from the same material as the pot, but they may or may not sound right. That's why I match a striker based on best sound rather than matching the wood. In most cases I can make a striker in the same material as the pot if that's what a person wants, but I'd much rather provide a striker that sounds best with that particular call.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

WeaselBrandGameCalls said:
Not really. A call that works on the West coast will work in the Rocky Mtns. Great Plains or the East coast. More important (at least to me) is matching the striker (sound wise) to a particular call. It's nice to have the striker made from the same material as the pot, but they may or may not sound right. That's why I match a striker based on best sound rather than matching the wood. In most cases I can make a striker in the same material as the pot if that's what a person wants, but I'd much rather provide a striker that sounds best with that particular call.
Thanks for the reply.

I was just aw-struck at the beauty of the work that I was not sure where to start.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

This may be off the topic, but I have to ask. TEX, why are you calling Brad a weasel?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Huntoholic said:
Thanks for the reply.

I was just aw-struck at the beauty of the work that I was not sure where to start.
Trust me, they sound as good as they look!

·
Registered
692 Posts

Loke said:
This may be off the topic, but I have to ask. TEX, why are you calling Brad a weasel?
Hey now, to some of us, being referred to as "weasel" is every day life!

(My mountain man name was changed a few years ago from Many Steps to Weasel, but unfortunately that user name here is already taken, or I'd wear it with pride!)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well..... not being the pro caller that those above are, I do have to say as a first hand witness that this call did a great job. Also as someone who loves woodworking and anything that is skillfully made, I have to say that the call was beautifuly figured wood, and he did a great job turning it not only into a tool but a pleasure to look at.

Now will you let my family go ? ;) :lol:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

TEX-O-BOB said:
Huntoholic said:
Thanks for the reply.

Trust me, they sound as good as they look!
Just Ordered one......

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Packout said:
TEx- is yours slate over slate or slate over glass? And what is the difference?
They are slate over glass. I wish I could tell you what the difference is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are many other variables that figure into the sound, volume, pitch and ease of use of any particular call. A slate over glass is a great all around call. Slate over slate is often used as a finishing call or on those gobblers that hang up. They are superb for purrs, clucks and even soft tree yelps before flydown. In my opinion, everybody should carry several calls and a variety of strikers. Switch 'em up and you'll sound like a whole flock of hens.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Well I ordered yesterday and received today. Now that is service! And it for sounds really good.

Thanks a bunch.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts