Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else's lab just shedding like crazy right now?

I dunno what the deal is, but mine is dropping hair like crazy. No changes in diet and she is pretty healthy.

Just curious if anyone else is going crazy like I am?

·
Registered
556 Posts
My 6 y/o lab is shedding, not sure why. She is healthy and happy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's my understanding that they blow out coats twice a year. This would be them shedding their summer coat and growing their winter coat. When that happens probably depends on how much time they spend outside. Mine started a few weeks ago, but he spends days outside. Interestingly he is a darker brown now, and while he was going through it had spots of lighter brown.

There are lots of guys on here that know more then me, so I am open to correction. :)

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I just assumed Labs shed year round, at least the dog hair on all my clothing tells me that. When my dog "shakes off" it's a cloud of hair every time.

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have learned that diet is a huge piece of the puzzle when dealing with shedding. Certain foods will cause my dog to drop hair more frequently so I have to pay close attention to what she eats. But the time of year makes for a head scratcher as I don't normally deal with this much shedding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts