Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my x box 360 for money to get either a new shotgun or some used goose decoys. Ive never hunted geese before and i have no clue where to go or anything so i am kinda leaning towards the gun. I would like a semi auto but my price range it 350 or less since i'm 17. I'm shooting a Remington 870 pump right now which i like a lot but would like it for an upland game gun. Any semi autos around my price range anyone would recommend? I know i cant get a GREAT gun for that price but thats alright. Or does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in fields to hunt geese? Ive wanted to hunt geese since i started ducks (last year and im addicted) Any help is very appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
My advice would be to stick with that 870 for now and keep saving until you can get a great auto that you will be happy with. Life is too short to settle for crappy guns.

By the way, its great to hear that some one traded in a video game to buy hunting equipment. Its good to hear that some of our young kids have some common sense after all.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Well for your price range I once had an EAA MP 153 semi auto 3 1/2", Brakial (Russia) makes them, they are now marketed by Remington as I believe the SPR-453 auto. I gave 275.00 for mine 4 years ago but have no idea what they are running now. It was a good cheap auto, I didn't have many problems out of it; Killed a lot of ducks and geese with it, but traded up to a SBE.

You can't go wrong with a good used Remington 1100 if you come across one, but your 870 ain't a bad gun either. Whatever you choose get one that fits you, if it doesn't fit you, you wont be happy with it.

As for geese fields if you know some local landowners and can get perrmission to hunt some corn fields that would probally be the best bet, but of course you have to find which fields the geese are using before setting up.

You can hunt geese on most WMA's around here, but you will have to put your time in to score on them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As you know I love my Mossberg 935 that I got last week. It is a sweet gun. I do not have much experience with the more expensive semi autos like the super black eagle 2 or the extrema 2, but I think that the Mossberg 935 is a great gun for the price. My opinion is save up a little more and go with the Mossberg 930 or 935.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'll say it before my buddy Tumblingwings gets on here and says it..... if you are wanting just a good solid shooter (not the prettiest girl at the dance) hit your local pawnshops.... especially now that the season is winding down for a lot of guys. Just my thoughts.... I've seen some really UGLY guns from the pawnshop get a complete makeover just by receiving a good cleaning and some TLC by the right person. I know you're probably after a new shiny, right out of the box gun, but this is just one more option. You might check Gallensons... sometimes they seem to run some specials on guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts