Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think shells will be readily available before waterfowl season starts? Do you think the prices are going to be higher than in the past? Stores have been empty for 6 months, I doubt it will change much before October. Maybe the marsh will be less crowded. :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Been watching my preferred vendor multiple times a day for a couple months and still haven’t got stock of what I want. Could have got some 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz load once or twice but held off hoping for some 1 1/4 loads. Same with 20 gauge rounds. It’s all been lighter payload faster velocity the one time they had 20. But I sat and thought and pondered and it wasn’t long till they were out of stock unless I wanted 20 gauge BB.

They were like this last year and was around July when they got a bunch of ammo in. Kinda feel like I’m playing Russian roulette with being picky. Wait for what I want and get hosed and hope what I have sees me through the season? Or settle for close enough and then see them get what I want after I buy??

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been too picky, I buy what I find just in case there isn't anything else. I will pick up the normal stuff If/when it becomes available. I have 5 cases or so as of now, but I'm always looking. I think the O/U 12 gauge may see some action this year.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I haven't been too picky, I buy what I find just in case there isn't anything else. I will pick up the normal stuff If/when it becomes available. I have 5 cases or so as of now, but I'm always looking. I think the O/U 12 gauge may see some action this year.
Oh I know you Rob!! I know you’re a deal sniffer (prob the best I know when it comes to hunting gear) and I bet you have enough ammo in your basement to last you MANY a seasons 😉

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hope you are right about less people in the marsh, I do know there will be less marsh though this year.
My hope is that skyblasters really think about taking their shots and maybe try to become duck hunters instead of duck shooters.
I also REALLY hope anyone using illegal loads get caught and fined to the extent they give up waterfowling.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I feel lucky that I have enough inventory on hand to last a couple of seasons.

Talked to a landowner friend of mine in Canada. He thinks the border will be open by fall. Apparently Biden is putting pressure on Trudeau to get the border open? Also heard the Canadian Wildlife Service is pushing to do away with possession limits this fall. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I prefer 3" #3s in federal 12 gauge. Haven't found any yet. I have bought enough Winchester #2 & #4 to get me through the season. Got them at Walmart and sportsman warehouse. Took awhile with a limit of 2 boxes.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh, dove loads will work in a pinch if they need to I guess…
I have been buying a bunch of Federal Steel Dove loads in 12 and 20 gauge #6 & 7 1/2. They work well, within reasonable distance. My O/U shoots them really good.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have been buying a bunch of Federal Steel Dove loads in 12 and 20 gauge #6 & 7 1/2. They work well, within reasonable distance. My O/U shoots them really good.
They absolutely SHRED birds inside 30 yards. I bought several cases at Walmart for $3.50 a box and have used them on the GSL many times. They work incredibly well out of a full choke

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
They absolutely SHRED birds inside 30 yards. I bought several cases at Walmart for $3.50 a box and have used them on the GSL many times. They work incredibly well out of a full choke
I bought a flat of 7s 2 years ago and use them strictly for swatting cripples on the water. Kills 'em grave yard dead. (y)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just found a case of Kent 12 gauge 3” 1 1/4 oz #4 shot I pulled the trigger on and have on its way (I’m a 1 1/4 #3 shot kinda guy) but 4 will make do. Paid about $30 more than I hoped, but I’m thinking that’s a sign of the times...

Now if I can find a case or two of some 20 gauge 3” 1oz 3 or 4 shot, we’ll be set well into next season.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just found a case of Kent 12 gauge 3” 1 1/4 oz #4 shot I pulled the trigger on and have on its way (I’m a 1 1/4 #3 shot kinda guy) but 4 will make do. Paid about $30 more than I hoped, but I’m thinking that’s a sign of the times...

Now if I can find a case or two of some 20 gauge 3” 1oz 3 or 4 shot, we’ll be set well into next season.
I just picked up a couple of boxes of the Kent FastSteel 2.0 but have never shot them before. Have you shot the Kent's and do you like them. I was like a starving man being offered a hamburger that was a day old figured something was better than nothing and having to shooting a finger pistol at them.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I just picked up a couple of boxes of the Kent FastSteel 2.0 but have never shot them before. Have you shot the Kent's and do you like them. I was like a starving man being offered a hamburger that was a day old figured something was better than nothing and having to shooting a finger pistol at them.
Kent’s is not my go to normal working mans budget shells. But I’ve shot Kent’s quite often in years past and personally have had no complaints with them, they have been a quality shell for me actually. The A5 doesn’t seem to mind them one bit. But I usually stock up on federal blue box just because they have been great for me and I can find them (pre covid) for cheaper.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well dang. I was going grab me some. I have been picking up a few boxes here and there, but my preferred load is also 3" #3 in 1 1/4 oz. Finding anything like that these days is akin to winning the lottery. I have decided to settle for #4s until ammo is back in stock again. They'll do the job on birds within 40 yes and especially teal...which I found alot of last year.

I will not shoot 2s unless I absolutely have to. I might as well be shooting blanks, and of course, 2s are much easier to find. Wonder why?? 🤔🤔

Oh, and the question about Kent shells. I have really like Kent in the past but haven't shot any of the 2.0s. Demo them out and let us know what you think. IMO, Kents are good shells and shouldn't fail you.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts