Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Jerry, what manual is that? Do you recommend it? Currently only using Lymans 5th and Lightning Steel and wishing for more.
It is the Reloading Specialties steel manual. It was free when I bought some components from them. There data like the Lyman manual is over twenty years old. But it has some good recipes in it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Everybody has their favorites and very few are willing to try something new – kind of “If it ain’t broke; don’t fix it.” And that’s good. I used to roll my own back when lead shot was legal and my 2 ¾”, 1 ¼ oz, buffered, #6 loads would cleanly kill ducks at 60 yards with 92% patterns at 40 and 78% patterns at 60. When steel became required in the Pacific Flyway, I sold the remaining lead duck loads to a guide in Texas that used them to back-up his clients on pheasants. They didn’t shoot very well but wanted to take home some birds to show their wives that they actually were hunting.

Any who, I’ve pretty much settled into buying what I know I can cleanly bag waterfowl with and on which I can get the lowest cost. For ducks, I 100% decoy hunt out of a boat and have found that the Winchester xPert 2 ¾” shells with 1 1/16 oz of #3 shot at 1550 fps kills them graveyard dead out to 40 yards. Recently – because we got a heck of a buy on them 2 seasons ago – I’ve been shooting the 3” version with a 1 ⅛ oz. YMMV. Nothing wrong with Kents or any of the premium versions from Winchester, etc., but the xPerts work just as well in my book.

For the few times that I switch it up and take one of my twenty gauges, I use the 3” Heavy Shot Heavy Metal with 1 oz of #4 shot at 1350 fps. Good clean kills to 35 yards when I do my part.

I do one or 2 guided goose shoots a year and all in my group use the same factory goose load – Heavy Shot Speed Ball 3” with 1 ¼ oz, #1 shot at 1650 fps. Our guides are always impressed with the effectiveness of these shells. We buy them by the case from Macks PW with free shipping to our door.

And for those occasional cripples that fall where I can see them, I use some 12 GA Herter's steel target loads of 1 oz of #7 shot at 1370 fps.

I still have about 4 cases combined of all of the above, so I’m good for this year and probably next. But I will be looking for bargains come January/February 2022 and will get a couple more cases of the xPerts.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
FM,
DryLock 2.75” #4’s.
Shhh…..or else I won’t be able to find more.
I saw Dryloks and Xperts in Walmart today. All 12 gauge stuff though, so I left it sitting there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I ran to Wally’s after you posted the Blackhorn, not even offered at my local Walmart.
I have enough for this season, barely.
So off to the shotshell shelf I went and saw the same thing you saw, gobs of it. Gun counter employee said he had LOTS more in the back, but all 12 gauge. So I left it all for someone else.
It is the most popular gauge and if I was a manufacturer I guess I would make what would most likely sell out also.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Anyone looking for 20 gauge, smith n eddies in Ogden had quite a bit of Kent’s and Federal in 3” 7/8 oz #3 and #4 shot today. Pretty spendy though. I walked out empty handed as I have plenty I wasn’t gonna play the gouging game.

·
Hunter/Friend
33 Posts
The only luck I have had finding anything was in Idaho recently at my Friend's Shop, Hux Customs. Even he is $5 higher than normal! I just want some SuperX at $8.99, but I think those days are behind us. Keep posting leads here! I'd hate to go above $20 a box though. Going to have family look in Vegas for me.

·
Senior Goof
3,620 Posts
Is there particular stuff you are after because I am seeing shotgun every store I go to with plenty of options.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
20 gauge steel shot 3" #2, 3 or 4 shot. Not more than $13 a box.
I'll keep my eye out... but I'm not even seeing 12GA for those prices, and 20 is usually alot more. I thought I was getting a deal on the case of 12GA #6 lead shot at $13 a box. Inflation monster is going to have us all paying $20 a box for ammo really soon. I hate to think of what ammo is going to cost our grandkids 20 years from now.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Roger's has some Federal 20ga 2 3/4" 3/4oz steel shells in stock. $159.99 a case OUCH!!!

I bought some of these a few years ago from Paddler for $75 a case. I'm **** glad I have shells on hand. Its getting expensive.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Roger's has some Federal 20ga 2 3/4" 3/4oz steel shells in stock. $159.99 a case OUCH!!!

I bought some of these a few years ago from Paddler for $75 a case. I'm **** glad I have shells on hand. Its getting expensive.
You're welcome! That was a deal I put together with a local shop, and I still have some. I have something like 14 cases combined 20 and 12 gauge, so I'm good for the rest of my hunting career. I don't shoot much.;)

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
$50 for a box of shells? If it comes to that, I'll sell all of my stuff and find something else to do. No thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The Riverdale Walmart a week ago - all steel. No 20 GA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you think they are investing all their primers in to 12 gauge because it has the highest probabilty of 100% sell-out?

·
Registered
442 Posts
$50 for a box of shells is more than I’d ever care to pay. I haven’t followed the price of Bismuth, but in fairness, isn’t that a reasonable price for factory bismuth loads?

I’m cheap enough that if I have to think about how much it is going to cost me to pull the trigger, then I tend to not pull it. I have boxes of expensive high-end non-tox shells that I bought years ago and then have just collected dust as I’ve waited for the “right time” to use. Kind of silly considering how much I spend on boats, gear, fuel, guns, decoys, etc. but then when it comes to what Ammo I use, I cringe spending more than $10-12 a box. It’s not logical, but honestly there not much logic to my fanatic passion for waterfowling. Haha.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If I walked up to a $50 box of shotgun shells...yeah, i'd just keep on walking. That price is flat out ridonculous!!

41 - 60 of 87 Posts