Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The most I've ever paid for steel is $8/box, but that was unusual. Most I bought for $7/box. Paying $50/box is ludicrous.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Bismuth is not a cure all and definitely not worth $50 a box. Its nice to take out a vintage gun now & then but not at that price.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You guys are funny. Those bismuth shells are $2 per shell. Rio Bismuth from Natchez is $2.65/shell. Kent Bismith from Midway is $2.40/shell. There are a couple other websites showing just under $2/shell. So while you won't pay that much for shells, the CAL Ranch price is not out of line with the current market price for bismuth shells. If the price of bismuth shells upsets you, please don't look up the cost of tungstun shotshells, it will probably give you a heart attack. 😁

I stopped using Hevi Shot when it went over $4/shell and switched to Speedball at just over $2/shell. TSS shells are off the charts for anybody living on incomes less than $1M/annum. If I had the desire to free lance for geese (I don't), I would be shooting steel shot. I use the services of licensed goose outfitters, so spending an extra $20 to $25 for shells to shoot 4 or 5 geese after paying $350/day plus the expense to get to Texas and back for the outfitter services is nothing.

But hey, its your money. You are free to spend it any way your wife lets you spend it. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: CPAjeff

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
For ducks, no way I wanna buy or will buy anything that’s $2+ a trigger pull. Good ole steel is just fine. But I shout a lot more at ducks than geese. However, I have found for me with field hunting geese, I will and have went to a TSS load that’s over $3 a trigger pull. And it’s been well worth the cost as the bird to shell ratio has raised significantly. The TSS is AMAZING at dropping honkers at distances for those half committed but won’t drop in feet down birds. 😳

TSS is wicked on aluminum at 40 yards too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Not sure where you found TSS at $3/shell, but I couldn't even come close. I did find a couple of on-line sources for TSS and this is todays price if they are even in stock. Federal Heavyweight TSS $65.99 per box of 5 ($13.20/shell); Browning TSS Turkey $49.99 per box of 5 ($10.00/shell); Apex TSS $65.99 per box of 10 ($6.60/shell); & TSS Shot TSS $49.99 per box of 10 ($5.00/shell).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've been shooting TSS at ducks for over 10 years. Straight TSS is too tight for ducks IMO, I much prefer duplex loads for ducks, but shoot straight TSS #7s at geese. You can shoot steel/TSS duplex loads for under $1 per shot, but it requires reloading. My 28ga TSS shells are better than any 12ga duck/goose load you can buy for both pellet count and penetration.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ah so! Black Cloud TSS is a blend of steel & tungstun pelletes just like Speedball with the added advantage of more speed with Speedball. And Speedball was about $2.50 per trigger pull. Doing some more research on waterfowl (goose) loads and discovered that HeviShot Speedball was discontinued and is no longer available. I talked to them (Environmetel) this morning and they are decreasing their product line slightly and that was one of the cuts. Their newest product - HeviX12 - is a tungstun product that is now being sold in 25 shells/box at around $50 a box ($2/shell). The company claims that this new product contains more energy than the Speedball shells contained. I guess I'll find out in December when we once again shell down the corn on some geese & cranes in Texas. I'll pick up a couple boxes of the new shells before then to suppliment my dwindling supply of Speedball.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Gotcha. Probably why the Black Cloud TSS is a bit more than the Speedball. The Fedeal back cloud is the flight stopper pellets fronted with TSS advantage that is 18 g/cc.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
My shells cost no more than $0.32 per, usually less. I average less than 2 shells/bird long term, including finishing cripples. Freelance for geese, kill plenty. No way I'd spend more on magic bullets.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just got an email from Rogers Sporting Goods listing some things you might want to pick up before Oct 2nd. One of the things available on sale right now is one of the products mentioned above - HeviShot Hevi X 12. Rogers is offering it up in 12 GA 3" in 2s, 4s & 6s at $479.99/case of 250 rounds ($1.92 PER ROUND) with free shipping and probably tate tax. That's 30% off according to them. After using the forerunner to this product since about 1996 or 7, trust me when I tell you that the #4 shot will kill them at unbeivable distances. My longest one shot kill was on a snow goose and was witnessed by 4 other hunters and paced off at 82 paces. I also had a couple dozen 60 plus yard kills on geese over the years. Never used it on ducks, but yeah, it'll do that too. :)

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Looks like my 12 gauges are going to get dusted off this year. I have 1 case of 20 gauge and 4 cases of 12 gauge. So weird not finding 20 gauge shells on shelves this year, or finding them but they are way overpriced. I started buying 20 gauge shells in January, and only came up with a case. Fuh! Hey! Paddler want to sell me some?:)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looks like my 12 gauges are going to get dusted off this year. I have 1 case of 20 gauge and 4 cases of 12 gauge. So weird not finding 20 gauge shells on shelves this year, or finding them but they are way overpriced. I started buying 20 gauge shells in January, and only came up with a case. Fuh! Hey! Paddler want to sell me some?:)
Rogers still has the Hevi-XII in 20 GA 3" in stock. Sold by the case only. Free shipping; maybe State Tax as well.
HEVI-XII 20 Gauge 3inch 7/8oz 1500FPS
$449.99 ($1.80 PER ROUND)
Shot Size: 4s & 6s (I would go with the 6s for ducks & 4s for geese)

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Rogers still has the Hevi-XII in 20 GA 3" in stock. Sold by the case only. Free shipping; maybe State Tax as well.

Thanks! Those shells would have no benefit to me over a $12 box of Xperts. I'm sure Wally World will get some in at some point before or during the season. (I hope anyway)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I probably
$1.80 a pull is some harsh Koolaid to swallow for a duck!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts