Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Should I buy Black Cloud?

5K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  JuniorPre 360 
#1 ·
I'm in the midst of my preseason preparation, and I'd like to hear some opinions on what shells you would buy if you were in my situation.

I've been shooting these, and they work okay. 3 inch #2 with 1 1/4 ounce steel at 1400 fps. $12 a box.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/federal-steel/federal-speed-shok-steel-waterfowl-12-gauge-3-1-1-4-oz.html

But I can get these black cloud shells (2 3/4 inch #3 with 1 ounce of steel at 1500 fps) for $11 a box, plus a duck call.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/federal-steel/federal-premium-black-cloud-steel-12-gauge-2-3-4.html

Since these are premium shells with fancy wads and pellets, can I expect them to perform comparably to what I shoot now? The pellet count is essentially identical to what I currently use, and I like that they shoot faster.

#10 · (Edited)
Dont forget to mention CHOKE tube. that will make a world off difference and you won't need to go up in shot size.

I agree, stick with the 1 1/4 oz .

I shoot a patternmaster Long range. with (yes) Xperts 3" 1 1/4 oz #1's and I smash birds from ducks to geese. I even pack them for swans. I also don't shoot far shots either but when the time calls for it, 3" #1's will knock them down.

I shoot the #1's mainly because it patterns Excellent in my choke tube. Its also a great all around Duck/Goose, close and long range (heaven forbid I ever shoot long range).

If your shooting birds in the decoys then I would shoot 3" #3's exclusively

some tubes I would look into getting would be:
patternmaster (I like the long Range)
Kick's high flyer
I hear some of the carlson's are good too.

I prefer the slower loads in the 1400 range, they pattern better out of my patternmaster because of the design of the tube but, I could be splitting hairs with my theory

I always joke with friends that 3 1/2" shells are a money gimmick.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Roger's usually has a sale in August or September and will sell a case of Federal blue boxes for $99 shipped. I shot them for the first time last year and they were great. I shoot mainly Xperts due to the price and convenience. They do okay, but I seem to have a few cripples, so I started shooting them closer.

#11 ·
I have shot Black Clouds for several years. They are a good round, but very dirty. I know you are probably the good hunter that ensures his shotgun is cleaned after a long day in the blind, but if not, these will definitely show. The cheaper the shotgun, the worse these rounds will do for you.
Blind Side hits much harder, but can really mess up the meat. Heavy Metal works well and don't really mess up the meat; just expensive.
Just as someone else said, just pattern your gun to the right choke. The most expensive rounds don't always make the most kills. Some old fashioned Kent or Remington Speed Steel works just as well with a good patterned choke.

#12 ·
Well since Tex has yet to chime in just let me say if you do use black cloud your taxidermist will hate you as those pellets tend to tear out feathers much more than normal loads. (I've gotten several lectures over birds I've dropped off)

Personally I would stay with what you were using and just play around with your choke, changing chokes can make a world of difference

#13 ·
Black Could, Blind Side, Hevi Meatal..................gimmick loads. If you want to pay the money for odd shaped steel shot then have at it. The only thing that makes these loads work is their shot cups (except for the hevi metal its a high priced spreader load with a cheap wad). The flight stopper wad is not a gimmick and will help patterns out at longer range if you if don't over choke it. Of course you can do the same thing with regular (cheap) good old round steel shot by finding the right choke for your gun and load.

Blind side.............wow it's hard to believe people fall for that load. Square shot is not aero dynamic and all you are doing is paying for a high priced spreader load that once again you could get the same effect by opening your choke up with regular round steel and allowing the shot to spread.

Many people do benefit from these loads when they do shoot them (more the blind side and hevi metal) because, they are spreader loads that actually put a good pattern out on birds that are being shot in both the shells and shooters optimum ranges (under 35 yards).

If you feel you need to shoot past that and have the skill in order to do so (99% of ducks hunters don't) then good old cheap round steel shot with the right choke (pattern work required here) will do all you need out to 60 yards with the correct shot size, choke, payload and speed.

#14 ·
I'll have to disagree about the Blindside loads being a gimmick load. My buddy used those for a year. Each and every duck he shot had both wings and feet broken, and the shot would go all the way through the birds. We were shooting the same flock, same distance, and his ducks were messed up. I asked on another hunting forum is anyone had experienced the same thing, and we were getting pictures back of ducks that were almost destroyed because the bb's would go all the way through.

#15 ·
the shot would go all the way through the birds.
I asked on another hunting forum is anyone had experienced the same thing, and we were getting pictures back of ducks that were almost destroyed because the bb's would go all the way through.
I rarely find steel shot in any of my ducks, it seems to always blow through no matter what loads are used. I usually do find a few BB's in the geese I get though. Are you consistently finding BB's in your ducks?

#21 ·
My buddy and I shoot full chokes. He's got a Pattern Master and I have the Carlson's long range. I'm fine with the little bit of bb's I have to deal with. I noticed with Xperts, I was getting a lot of cripples, and I absolutely hate that. When I switched to the full choke, I killed them no problem as long as I made nice shots. The Federal blue boxes have been very nice to shoot, especially for the price, but I get quite a bit of crap in the chamber and sometimes in my eye when the gun cycles.

#22 ·
The Federal blue boxes have been very nice to shoot, especially for the price, but I get quite a bit of crap in the chamber and sometimes in my eye when the gun cycles.
Try shooting Estates they are even "dirtier". But I still love em'.;)
Dunn's Sporting Goods has the Federal blue boxes cheaper than Rogers. Free shipping too.

#24 ·
I shoot the cheepest ammo I can find!!!! I don't care what brand or shell length! Any shot size from #4 to #BB! I hunt enough days I go threw an average of 4 cases a season & they all go bang. Dead is dead! I have never looked at a bird & said boy that bird I shot with brand x is more dead than the one I shot with brand y.

#25 ·
No matter what new load that ammo companies come up with, it will be really tough to beat 1 1/4oz of shot at 1400fps for killing birds. They got that load right years ago and if marketing didn't exist that's about all that people would shoot.

Reactions: Fowlmouth
#26 ·
No matter what new load that ammo companies come up with, it will be really tough to beat 1 1/4oz of shot at 1400fps for killing birds. They got that load right years ago and if marketing didn't exist that's about all that people would shoot.
You're a pump gunner so I bet you save a lot of money on shells. Shooting my M3500 seems to be a little more expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.