Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
779 Posts
That's awesome. How is the runoff?

Reactions: CPAjeff

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Jeff, I hope you gathered some of the Water Cress to take home and place between two pieces of buttered bread and salt for a sandwich. I love that stuff!! Makes a great sandwich, or added to a garden salad for a little more zing.:giggle:

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff, I hope you gathered some of the Water Cress to take home and place between two pieces of buttered bread and salt for a sandwich. I love that stuff!! Makes a great sandwich, or added to a garden salad for a little more zing.:giggle:
I didn’t this time, but I might give it a try in the future! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've had watercress before. I liked it. Gathering wild watercress for food made me a bit leary becauses I didn't know if one could get sick from the plant itself like giarardia or something from eating the plant. If the water has it, would the plant?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I've had watercress before. I liked it. Gathering wild watercress for food made me a bit leary becauses I didn't know if one could get sick from the plant itself like giarardia or something from eating the plant. If the water has it, would the plant?
I've only had it a few times, but I think if you take it home and thoroughly rinse it, you would be OK. (then again, giardia is probably part of my normal gut flora.)

I bet Goob has a recipe or two using it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
What Cath said....Wash it up real good. I spin it after washing to get as much water off it I can, then put it in a Ziplock and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I've never gotten sick from it.

·
Administrator
21,853 Posts
I've only had it a few times, but I think if you take it home and thoroughly rinse it, you would be OK. (then again, giardia is probably part of my normal gut flora.)

I bet Goob has a recipe or two using it.
Uh...giardia is not pleasant, let me tell ya.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ahhhhh, its nothing. 🙄 Who hasn't taken a drink out of a nice cool stream in the mountains, only to find a animal carcass a couple hundred yards upstream. That alone will make you feel sick and queasy.
Bingo.

And I find watercress generally in slower moving streams. I've drank out of some beautiful clear water and haven't gotten sick. But having had poinsoning before it was bad. I couldn't stand up to fart for a month. Couldn't trust myself.

• Haha
Reactions: taxidermist
1 - 17 of 17 Posts