Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the berry fished from about 7:00 to 11:00 at the ladders and not even a bite. But it was a very nice day except for the cold. Which wasnt all to bad my wife and sister didnt really like the cold so I didnt get to stop off anywhere else on the way home. Wish I had some pics but nothin to take one of.

If any one is going this weekend I would love to tag along. The wife wont let me go alone...
Im up for anywhere just want to catch some fish.........

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
The Berry has been fishing very well.
You may need to evaluate how you fished it and what you used.
Just a few quick tips.
Make sure that your lure is very close to the bottom.
Let the line out until it stops as your jig touches the bottom.
Now just keep it within 6" to 1" from the bottom.
If you have a fish finder, you may not see the fish because many of them are too close to the bottom to be detected.
Tip a 1 1/2" or smaller jig with shinner or sucker meat. I like white or pearl colored jigs like Maniac Ice Cut'rs. Any tube jig should work. Other colors are also good, I just like white.
Try using only one jig at a time and watch your line to see if a fish lifts it up rather than pull it down.
This is often a bite at Strawberry. Look for any slight movement up, down or even to the side. All are bites.
I like to use 4# line which is plenty strong.
These tips should help you get into some nice fish at Strawberry.
Good luck,
Granmdpa D.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The Berry really was slow today on the northwest side. I went out alone today at around noon. Got there around two, and fished until 4:30. Everyone in the area was either getting skunked or only a few bites. I caught one today. It was half an inch from breaking the slot. I was all alone on the ice for about the last hour as everyone around me had thrown in the towel by then. Everyone I talked to had lousy action so don't feel bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been skunked at Scofield this year. I know how it feels. Grandpa D. hit the nail on the head, applicable, practiable and appliable fishing information!

·
Registered
13 Posts
it was a slow day at the berry today. My dad and I got to the marine around 830 and fish to the right of where the boat docks are on the hill stored for the winter and i caught one their the only bit we had so around noon we went to place the ladders we liked and it was much better not great but ok. I caught 8 or 9 thier and my dad got 4. I had alot more on but they got off before I could get them though the hole. But it was a beautiful day up there not real windy and not to cold. But grandpa D advice is right jig off the buttom. Sorry no pictures i don't have a camera. They where all in the slot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Berry can be a tricky place. It seems like Im figuring new stuff out every year. It might be why its one of my favorite places to fish. The cutts sutul bites might be the hardest thing to figure out.
Two years ago I believe, ScottyP I think it was wrote detailed advice on how to fish the berry. I have tried to find it in the DWR archives, but havnt been able to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
schaueelab said:
Went to the berry fished from about 7:00 to 11:00 at the ladders and not even a bite. But it was a very nice day except for the cold. Which wasnt all to bad my wife and sister didnt really like the cold so I didnt get to stop off anywhere else on the way home. Wish I had some pics but nothin to take one of.

If any one is going this weekend I would love to tag along. The wife wont let me go alone...
Im up for anywhere just want to catch some fish.........
I'm in the same boat, my wife doesn't want me to go alone either. Thanks for the advice Grandpa D!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts