Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a new flipper on a whim a couple weeks ago at Big 5. Nothin special, just a Marksman wrist rocket. But I've gotta say, I forgot how much fun these things can be.

I've popped a couple ECDs off my power lines behind my house, and it's been fun. I used to hunt the fields around my house with a sling shot as a boy, but it's been years since I last used one. Surprisingly aiming came back naturally and in no time flat I am back to pelting pests.

Does anyone else still play with a flipper?

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
A couple of my buddies and I took our slingshots on deployment a couple years ago. We'd shoot em at the jackals and birds and what not. It was all fun and games til someone hit our CO directly in the chest on accident. But I love a good slingshot

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
We had a couple of wrist rockets on our dove hunt. It was fun to use one again.The guy I went withs boy took out a jack rabbit with a ball bearing!

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
take one on pretty much every fishing trip I go on. When I was you I lived in Turkey and Greece and could have a gun. Picked up some surgical tubing, some leather and headed to the local blacksmith and spent the next two summers hunting bullfrogs at the ponds. Love them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Water Sky Cloud Wood Dusk

Turn your back for a second pier fishing and the seagulls steal your bait. Never actually shot one but all I had to do was pull it out and they quit coming around.
I always try to remember it while fishing and bow hunting. Works good for the devil birds on the front.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Used to attempt to shoot squirrels with them but never was very good at it...now we just set targets up around camp and lob rocks, marbles or anything else we can find at them.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade but please have your kids wear eye protection when using these. As a kid my cousin lost an eye due to a slingshot and to this day I wonder if not having sight in his left eye contributed to a fatal car crash he was involved in that took his life.

·
Administrator
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to rain on anyone's parade but please have your kids wear eye protection when using these. As a kid my cousin lost an eye due to a slingshot and to this day I wonder if not having sight in his left eye contributed to a fatal car crash he was involved in that took his life.
I don't want to "like" your comment, because it sounds like I'm glad your cousin passed away. :cry:

But I do agree with your point that eye protection is important.

Can you elaborate upon how he lost his vision? Was there a ricochet or did the band flip back and hit his eye?

·
Administrator
21,964 Posts
I always enjoyed whackin' my brothers and sisters with slingshots.

Geeze, I miss those days.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I don't want to "like" your comment, because it sounds like I'm glad your cousin passed away. :cry:

But I do agree with your point that eye protection is important.

Can you elaborate upon how he lost his vision? Was there a ricochet or did the band flip back and hit his eye?
Richochet

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I hunted birds like you wouldnt believe with a wrist rocket when I was younger. I was a terrible shot with one. It probably didnt help that I never bought sling shot ammo and just looked for the roundest rock I could find. You can probably count on one hand the number of critters I have hit with one out of hundreds of shots taken. A few years ago I was taking some cracks at a squirrel on the mountain with a sling shot and some .50 caliber round balls I had somehow acquired. After a few misses I beaned that squirrel right in the noggin. Killed it deader'n hell.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Ya sling shots are a past time favorite for me. Nailed a few robins and a couple doves in my childhood probably shot less than .005% like CCG overall but it sure is fun. My old man can tell many stories of him and my uncle taking out several grouse with them during the deer hunt before my time. Not sure if its legal or even true but a very entertaining story every time. :) I still mess around with a wrist rocket from time to time with my kids

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.