Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Always look forward to seeing your "Shots" fired in the field Paddler!! They are some of the best photos I've seen of waterfowl.

"Gads" were one of my favorite species to put together back when. They are such a cool looking bird.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd shoot a limit of widgeon any day...have always loved a good 'ol baldplate or two in the bag. Don't think I've ever shot an exclusive limit though.
I did, a long time ago. Seven drakes with seven shots. This was taken before my limit bird. With a then new SxS:

Wood Tail Fish Art Pig roast

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did, a long time ago. Seven drakes with seven shots. This was taken before my limit bird. With a then new SxS:

View attachment 150179
That side by side is awesome Paddler! I have used one a couple times for upland game. I have a couple really old ones that were my great grandpa's,but other than that don't here about many that hunt with them anymore. Don't here of many people that go after a straight limit of widgeon either. Both are super cool!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That side by side is awesome Paddler! I have used one a couple times for upland game. I have a couple really old ones that were my great grandpa's,but other than that don't here about many that hunt with them anymore. Don't here of many people that go after a straight limit of widgeon either. Both are super cool!
Thanks. That's a Grulla, a Spanish gun made in Eibar. Eibar is the gun making center in Spain, much like London or Birmingham in Britain, or Gardone in Italy, Suhl in Germany. I traveled there in 2002 to meet with all the gunmakers, Grulla, Arrieta, Garbi, Arrizabalaga, etc. I went with Grulla. They all make Holland and Holland pattern sidelocks. Terry Weiland wrote a book about them called "Spanish Best", which inspired my trip. Haven't used it in many years now, but it works just fine:
Bird Snow Vertebrate Beak Feather
Bird Beak Snow Waterfowl Feather

1 - 20 of 27 Posts