Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somebody here in the forum know where to get small caliber sabots like Remington uses in their Accelerator line? I saw them at a gun show years ago, but that was before I reloaded.
Also, how's the accuracy potential?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
The last I heard about those, there was a big problem with plastic fouling in the barrels. Not too sure I would want to put up with that mess.

·
Administrator
21,439 Posts
You can still get them, just browse the internet. My neighbor reloads them for his 30-30 and 30-06. He purchased them bulk somewhere, I'll ask. I never could hit anything with them and found they gummed a barrel up bad.

I think ya have to have a special seater die to set the projectile in the sabot.

If you reload, use 50-60gr bullets. The rifling twist rate on most .30 calibers is 1:12 or 1:10. For .224 caliber bullets stuck in a .30 caliber sabot, this twist rate is best suited to bullets in the 50-60 gr. weight range.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably avoid them if they're a mess. What .30 cal bullet would you use for Prairie Poodles?

·
Administrator
21,439 Posts
SingleShot man said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably avoid them if they're a mess. What .30 cal bullet would you use for Prairie Poodles?
Don't give up on them. They are unique, kinda fun. Some like um some don't (me).

I think the 30-06 runs at 4100 to 4200 feet per second! And you can get the gum out of the riflings with acetone, just more work is all.

If you are in Evanston WY stop by and I'll give ya a handful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WILL DO!
It might be my Dad swinging by, though- Evanston is in his territory, and he's out there all the time.
plus- I've got a fairly wide range-
.30-06, 7.62x54R (in progress), .30-40 Krag, .30-30 win.
Could do lots of damage with those things!

I use Acetone **** near every day in my shop- I'll give that a shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts