Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading fishing posts from almost every reservoir in Northern Utah.
Almost every post has said that the fishing was very slow for the past few days.
With all the snow that we recieved this week, do you think that the fish bite may have been effected by the new snow?
We haven't has snow depths like this for several years so I don't remember if this has happened in the past.

Maybe I'm just looking for a good excuse for my poor fishing, but why knows?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think the fish bite very much depends on weather. How I dont know. It seems like when Im ice fishing in a storm I never do as well as when its clear. On the other hand in the summer months I can do very well in a rain storm. :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
256 Posts
here's some information on ice Fishing For Perchies.

Yellow perch fishing peaks just before ice-out when they cruise shallow flats and rock piles. early winter many perch in the back ends of bays or off shore line points in water of 4 to 8 feet deep. mid winter perch move to deeper water generally 20 to 40 feet they gather along breaklines just off sand or mud flats often near the base of a drop off. mid morning to mid afternoon is the fastest action. Changing Weather Conditions Have little effect on perch fishing. Most perch fisherman rate minnows as the best bait. using a #6 hook pierce the minnows back just below the dorsal fin. use a bobber to suspend the baitfish about 6 inches off the bottom. perch fisherman often tip artificials with eurolarvae, waxworms, minnow heads or perch eyes. Please check local regulations before using perch eyes as bait. some sates do not allow this practice. The Best types of artificials include small jigs small jigging spoons and the Normark Jigging Rapala. Best Colors include silver, gold, red, yellow, and chartreuse.

I hope the above information will help you increase your success rate on those bait robbin perchies.

tmf

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thats a good question Grandpa D... I too have wondered that question among similar lines. I think it has to do with the changing pressure or somethinig like that, if anybody has a real fact on this that would be interesting to read.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have also wondered that same thing. I have heard it has everything to do with the moon phase & the barometric pressure. Something to do with when there is a certain moon phase, it affects the gravitational pull. I have done best ice fishing right when a huge storm is about to come in & the barometric pressure is really high. I dont have any scientific proof, But Just from personal experience , a few hours before a huge storm has worked best for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read a book a little while ago called The Ways of Trout by Leonard Wright. His theory is that, for trout anyway, the temperature gradient is what gets the fish going. When the water temperature is around 63 degrees, the trout's gills are the most effective at pulling oxygen from the water. As the temperature moves toward that sweet spot the amount of oxygen in the trout's blood and brain increases and the fish becomes more aggressive about feeding. Whether this is true and, if so, how it works in winter and under ice, I have no idea but I find it interesting. I went fishing last on Thanksgiving morning and it was cold and getting colder and the fish seemed lethargic. I tried both flies and spinners, and got a few that would follow the lure, but nothing seemed to make them bite. It seemed to me, for that outing anyway, that maybe this theory has something to it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
STEVO said:
I have also wondered that same thing. I have heard it has everything to do with the moon phase & the barometric pressure. Something to do with when there is a certain moon phase, it affects the gravitational pull. I have done best ice fishing right when a huge storm is about to come in & the barometric pressure is really high. I dont have any scientific proof, But Just from personal experience , a few hours before a huge storm has worked best for me.
+1, I also have the best success right before a storm, and I mean within an hour or two of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts