Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you think the herds are doing with all this snow. The last couple of years it has been mild winters so they have been fine but all this snow has me wondering what the winter kill will be this year. What have you seen and whats your opinion.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I dont think there will be to big of winter kill this year. the snow not that deep in the lower part. LEt's have are fingers x that we dont have a bad one. The spring will bring some good food for them to grow big for us by Aug.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Actually there is alot of snow out there.Add in the fact that we didn't get much rain fall last spring so the amount of feed is coming into play. There are some places in Utah that are getting hit hard and it will effect the animals.

Colorado right now is getting hit the hardest. So much so that they are starting a fund to help feed the animals. They are having extreme cold and over 20 feet of snow. I know there are many of us hunters here in Utah that go across the border and hunt in Colorado. If this is the case, we need to do more then just "cross our fingers".

http://wildlife.state.co.us/wildlifesto ... egoryID=47

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am pretty worried about it. All of the animals are really low right now. I helped a couple of brother-in-laws with cow tags in 2 areas last week, and in both areas they were not far from the road. The animals didn't move very well after we shot a cow out of the herds. They were slow and didn't go very far. It got me pretty worried. I havent seen the elk this low for a while. I hope the weather doesn't continue to pound us. Moisture is good, and we need it, but I hope it doesn't continue to push the animals lower and cover their food.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Snow is a double edged sword. If we don't get enough the anamals suffer (drought) and if we get too much they suffer from winter kill. We are in a serious water shortage so I don't know what to hope for. In a perfect would we would now get a few weeks of respite, warm weather and a little melt in the lower elavations then more snow. IN A PERFECT WORLD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts