Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this being one of the dryer falls in a while. How did you feel about hunting the extended without much snow. I did not hunt it this year but I really wished I could have. I hate hunting in the snow, most of the time. I would really have loved to be up real high this last week or two.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I personally love the snow while hunting the extended for a number of reasons.

1. I love being able to wear snow camo because I think it hides my outline better than at any other camo.
2. With fresh snow you are able to stalk much more quietly than without.
3. The deer are much more visible, even when they are bedded in the oak.
4. It is easier to see fresh track, and when an animal is hit, the blood trail is extremely visible.
5. There is just something about hunting in snow, I can't explain it.

Downsides

1. Without the proper clothing and equipment, it can be cold.
2. The possibility of equipment failure goes up (i.e. rest or release freezing up).
3. Hiking, particulary in deep snow, is more difficult.
All of these is a small price to pay.

So snow has my vote! :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I like both but like flyfish said it is cold and equipment issues an cause problems. But I too have logged a few miles plowing through the snow. I think I like early season more but any time in the field is good with me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Snow all the way!! I went up the cottonwoods last week and hiked 3 hours to get to a spot. I saw about 8 cows and a spike about 40 yards away. I barely missed the spike. Me and the guys I was with agreed that we wouldnt come back out unless it snowed. Unfortunetly I wasnt able to get out yesterday with a couple of the guys. One of my friends shot at a decent bull and missed (his release was frozen and rangefinder fogged up). His brother ended up shooting a 5x5 raghorn. He shot it only about an hours hike off the main road! Its supposed to snow this weekend I think and I will be out for sure.

·
Administrator
21,433 Posts
Snow's OK, just gear up for it. I have had some close calls in whiteout situations. Worst oine was ice-fishing on the Gorge, Anvil Draw, just a half mile from the truck. Now I always carry a lighter, toilet paper, and a compass(GPS).

But I can do without it if I have to pack eat more than a mile, especially uphill.

Nothing better than rabbit hunting in the snow!!

And you're right Flyfishn247, that snow camo works great.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I love both snow and no snow. I love the snow so you can see biger deer and you can pic them out a little easyer. I injoy the other one for the easyer hiking and dont have to worry so much about anything freezing up on you. Im heading out saterday and maybe sunday moring for a couple hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts