Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has begun:

So much for "we are going to allow everyone to continue to enjoy this area." Just like Mineral Basin, now its GTFO.

-DallanC
Public lands.....there's just nothing like them.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Nope, I want open access. I was making a point that just because land is 'public' doesn't guarantee that there will be access...... In contrast to 1-I's tunnel-visioned comment.

Sorry if you were hoping for a heated argument.------SS

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Nope, I want open access. I was making a point that just because land is 'public' doesn't guarantee that there will be access...... In contrast to 1-I's tunnel-visioned comment.

Sorry if you were hoping for a heated argument.------SS
Yep and private property definitely guarantees open access...this is where the rolling eyes emoticon goes

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
What's a "zip line"?

I'm a dope from Wyoming, sorry.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
What's a "zip line"?

I'm a dope from Wyoming, sorry.

Belt Harness system with pulleys attached to an overhead wire stretched several hundred yards. You hook up and "ride" down the line to the bottom.

Think "Gondola" without the Gondola.

Its moderately amazing how many of these are going in now... there are I think 5 now within a 5 mile radius of deer creek.

EDIT: Here's an example, skip in to around the 1 minute mark.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts
I'm jealous. You fellas get zip lines, gondolas, and ski runs.

I Wyoming they turn our public land into strip mines, pipelines, power lines and gas wells.

Who makes these decisions? Are these people elected? appointed?
Are they appointed by elected officials?
Do deer hunters in Utah County vote?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't understand the argument here. It's always been private land. Just because it was never posted and you might have ridden there doesn't make it any less private.

Have all you guys turned commie pinko or what?

·
Administrator
21,407 Posts

EDIT: Here's an example, skip in to around the 1 minute mark.

-DallanC
Wow, that looks like fun. At 64, I'm thinking zip lining is way cooler than deer hunting.

Reactions: bekins24

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't understand the argument here. It's always been private land. Just because it was never posted and you might have ridden there doesn't make it any less private.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them posting private property, I'm just saying public land has a real value of its own.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Wow, that looks like fun. At 64, I'm thinking zip lining is way cooler than deer hunting.

Wyoming is almost too flat for a good zip line, the closest that a flat lander can come is the Geronimo Line off of a gas or oil well derrick.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
C3Hammer, the issue isn't so much with them closing their private land or putting lifts on their private land. The issue is the Gondola, atleast for most of us. Where they want to put the Gondola is on public land and will close access to several hundred acres of public land. In particular to horsemen and hunters. Not to mention the fact that it will triple to quadruple users of an already stressed resource.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts

It doesnt matter if its private or not, there is a pre-existing road through it that has been established for +100 years. It is a public right of way. You cannot buy a big chunk of ground and close a 100 year old access road through it.

Also, Snowbird doesn't own the entire thing, portions of it they only have mining leases but not ground ownership, that is why they went to the county to get those leases re-assigned to recreational use.

THAT and the road closure is what people are PO'd over. Public LOST resources over this, it wasn't a case of public never having them in the first place.

-DallanC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts