Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the area is sold out and I was hoping that I could turn the permits back in to the DWR so somebody else could use them (we just finished beating ourselves up on the Henry's Bison hunt). I could care less about the $40 refund. I called the DWR and was told I could turn them in but couldn't get a refund. No problem. But I asked would someone else be able to use them. I was told NO! Asking for an explanation the answer was "well that's just the way it is."

I feel bad we won't be going and possibly keeping somebody else from having a permit. We had every intention of going again this year. Don't you think it would be worthwhile for the DWR to take back permits before a hunt and give the opportunity to someone else?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I have been through that area process. I wanted a central and had a northern a few years ago. I knew someone who wanted a northern and had a central. we were going to turn them in at the same time so we could swap them. They would let us turn them in but the tags would not be re issued. I think that I got the same explanation as you did.

Give a little more info on you getting beat up on the Henries Bison hunt. You had found some opening weekend but couldn't get a safe shot off for the fear of shooting a bull, if I remember right. You came home and were going to return. What happened after that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was on the other side of the same problem when I decided I wanted an elk tag this year. They were sold out by the time I was ready to go buy one. The DWR told me people do turn them in but the turned in tags go to the next years quota.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to post more on the bison hunt. We did get a nice mature cow bison. The only problem was the first weekend I had about 6 buddies with me. The weekend we got it it was just me and my 65 year old dad. Neither one of us had much experience cutting up anything of that size. Well after about 5 hours, we got her out of there. Anyway, as soon as I get my pictures loaded up I will post more about the experience and the pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts