Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the stats, it would be much wiser to apply in another state Arizona or Nevada instead of dumping $200 into the tag system.

Odds are that you will hunt or a draw faster than playing this system.

I understand that only being able to apply for one species in the regular draw may lead you to apply for tags for the expo. It may be your only chance to draw an elk tag during the waiting period or draw a goat tag, because you are committed to moose.

Just understand there is 228,530 apps for 200 tags. So, there are more likely better draw odds in your unit during the regular draw than the expo draw.

Best Units

• Deer - Book Cliffs North Rifle- 0.20% or 1 in 505
  • Elk - Manti Archery - 0.14% or 1 in 374
  • Pronghorn - Plateau Muzzleloader - 0.77% or 1 in 136
  • Moose - Wasatch - 0.02% or 1 in 6063
  • Bison - Henry Mountains Cow - 0.05% or 1 in 1853
  • Bear - Nine Mile Spring - 0.30% or 1 in 306
  • Cougar- Nebo - 0.51% or 1 in 194
  • Desert Bighorn - San Raf South- 0.02% or 1 in 5570
  • Rocky Bighorn -Newfoundland- 0.02% or 1 in 5545
  • Rocky Goat - Uintas - 0.03 or 1 in 3202
  • Turkey - Southeast - 0.88% or 1 in 112
Just some food for thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Well,

Your odds are exactly zero if you don't apply.......:grin:;-)

And, It's the ONLY place I can apply for my 2nd Utah moose permit.......:cool:.....

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
I agree with goofy, if you don't invest some money into the tags you have 0 chance.

It is a lot like the Power Ball drawing for $1.3 billion +. If you don't purchase a ticket you won't have even a sight chance of winning.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Some of my friends and I decided to drop out due to the award process so everyone's odds just went up.

You can thank me later when you draw;-)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Some of the best odds are for the nonresident OIL tags...if I had a hunter friend in town from out of state I would bring them to apply for those. True, the odds are still around 1 in 1000, but for those species that's about as good as you'll ever get for $5. Usually you'll spend $100+ for a chance that probably isn't much better.

I ran through last year's stuff on my spreadsheets and concluded that the $60 I would spend to apply for the tags I want will produce about a 0.5% chance of me getting one of them if odds are similar to last year's.

I haven't decided if I'll apply. Yeah, I've studied enough probability to know that it's a stupid idea to apply, so I definitely wouldn't if it weren't so much fun to dream about what I'll do when I pull that special tag. ;-) The entertainment value alone makes it tempting.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Some of the best odds are for the nonresident OIL tags...if I had a hunter friend in town from out of state I would bring them to apply for those. True, the odds are still around 1 in 1000, but for those species that's about as good as you'll ever get for $5. Usually you'll spend $100+ for a chance that probably isn't much better.

I ran through last year's stuff on my spreadsheets and concluded that the $60 I would spend to apply for the tags I want will produce about a 0.5% chance of me getting one of them if odds are similar to last year's.

I haven't decided if I'll apply. Yeah, I've studied enough probability to know that it's a stupid idea to apply, so I definitely wouldn't if it weren't so much fun to dream about what I'll do when I pull that special tag. ;-) The entertainment value alone makes it tempting.
It's 5$ to apply but you still pay full price for the tag

·
Registered
791 Posts
I always thought the same thing, spent my usual $50 last year and ended up with a tag. So I can't complain, still have my points to use as well.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The odds are terrible. But not only do I know a decent amount of people that have drawn (including one guy that has drawn twice), I drew a Pauns tag myself in 2012.

Yep, the odds suck. Chances are extremely thin. But someone will draw the tags. I wish it was a different system, but it's not. And as mentioned by others, it is my only chance to even apply for deer, moose, sheep, and goat tags. I'm stuck in the never ending elk and bison pools.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
The way that I look at it is that even if SWF is the most corrupt thing this side of the moon someone needs to draw the tag and it might as well be me.

As I mentioned in one of the other threads going on about them, if every member of the UWN and UWC boycotted the show and didn't purchase any chances it would be like one grain of rice in a bowl of millions of grains.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I drew a tag in 2009 and it seems like every year, there's a few folks on this forum that draw or knows someone that did.

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
It all boils down to where a person wants to spend their money. One of my favorite hobbies is hunting, and I enjoy every aspect of hunting (planning hunts, application processes, scouting, etc.) The expo gives me a chance, slim as it may be, at drawing tags that I would never draw otherwise.

I apply for hunts in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. Just the licensing cost in some of these states to get bonus/preference points is more than I spend at the expo.

Plus, it is a great reason to miss work!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
+ One Million CPA !!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Same here...:!:....

And,
It's AMAZING how many members on these forums, plus people I know that have drawn Expo tags.
These permits are an AWESOME added opportunity IMO.

Reactions: CPAjeff

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I apply for just about every in state tag I can legally do so for....I love to hunt and will do all that I can to ensure I have a tag in hand as often as possible.

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I stated the numbers suggest it would be wise to spend your money else where.

I do not discount that there are tags to be had and people draw these tags every year.

I was pointing out that it you would hunt more often if you looked into other states rather than looking into the expo.

$530 All tags (+ Tag Fee ~$100-$500) can get you a rut Mule Deer Tag in Montana, Deer Tag in Idaho, Ruby Archery Tag in Nevada, Coues Deer Tag in Arizona, OTC elk tag in Idaho, a gets you an OTC elk tag in Colorado, and a few more bucks gets you an OTC Deer/Elk Combo in Montana. There are options to hunt outside of the poor draw odds of the expo to hunt more often.

Save the $530 for ten years and do a DIY moose hunt in Alaska, Save the $530 for fifteen years and do a guided Dall/Goat hunt in Alaska.

I understand that putting in for tags gives the appearance that you can draw something special and if you have the money. I would say go for it. Just understand there are probably better ways to spend your money in regards to hunting.

I'm not a member of RMEF or SFW, I am just a numbers guy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Someone has to draw, and I have as good a chance as anyone...
I actually do not put in. I do the Sportsman tag, prob just as bad.........

I drew Paunsy muzzle in '12 thru the regular draw. There was a guy camped close to use that had gotten an Expo tag. He was upset there was not a 30" buck running around every knoll. You know how the legends grow.
The 5th morning he took a 20" 4x4.
Was actually a very nice guy, and enjoyed talking to him and his friend.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The most I've ever put in for at a single expo is 6 tags...$30. That was last year, every other year I've done it I've limited myself to $20. I guess the line of thought for other states helping you hunt more often works better if you figure someone is putting in for every tag and they don't have the means to do both.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
If you can drop $530 on tickets at the expo every year I doubt that you would have to worry about saving up for 10 years to hunt out of state.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts