Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the DWR web-site said there were 2,700 "any bull" tags left. And a similar number of spike tags. Today the web-site says both are "SOLD OUT". I called them -- they said they hadn't update the site in two weeks. There goes my elk hunt. It's my own fault, I guess. Very bummed today...

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
How much do you think that 12 and 13 year olds, hunting this year, contributed to the sell out?
I'm just not sure that all of these kids are ready and mature enough for this!
I guess that time will tell.
I just hope that we don't read about a young kid shooting someone.
Perhaps I'm even a little jealous, because when I was a kid, you had to be 16 to hunt big game.
I was 17 because my birthday is in November, after the hunts.
From 12 to 17 is a big difference to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was one of the guys that got caught napping on this deal! I have already packed, got my maps marked up, made plans, etc., but I was waiting until payday to go get my tag. Payday rolls around and "Sorry, we are sold out". Oh well, live and learn!

Rut

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm an average hunter (on a good day) and I'm usually one of the first in line when it comes to getting tags. But no gun tags for me this year, so you folks that are heading out in this gorgeous Autumn weather be sure to spook all the elk into the extended archery area for me, eh? :lol:

Seriously, good luck to all of you.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
All you spike hunter in the Hanna/Tabiaiona area be sure to push all those big bulls (moose) on to the Moon ranch! :D Good luck, it looks like it your going to have some wild weather.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't help but feel that the DWR owes me the money I've spent on getting ready to go. My preparation was based on the false information they provided to all of us -- right up until the last day. Then it was too late. My money AND my weekend was wasted. Thanks DWR for keeping the public informed. This is no small matter to me. Nothing anyone can do about it now though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RTMC said:
Except complain, huh?
Is your post meant to be sarcastic or are you serious? If you're being sarcastic, don't you think I and others in my situation have reason to complain? Or maybe you just don't think this forum is the proper place to talk about the issue?

I'm really curious as to what you meant by your comment.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
We all knew that there was the possibility of licenses being sold out. After all, that's why there is a limit on sales, to limit the amount of hunters in the field and the amount of animals harvested.
I feel bad for those people that waited until the last minute to try and purchase a license, but why did you wait?
I'll bet you don't wait next year.
Please don't get upset at what I just said, because I'm not saying it to be rude.
I'm just pointing out what we all should have all known already.
We can put the blame where ever we want to but in the end, everyone knew that licenses could sell out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In all reality that is the only thing you can do is complain. Don't take it personal. Show up to the RAC and complain. Write a letter or give the DNR a call. But don't take things personal over the computer screen and take something, or assume someone was mocking you in any way. Also I think where RTMC was going, was don't just piss and pmoan about it over the internet, but instead take one of these actions. Sucks you did not get a tag. Hopfully you are better prepared next year. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grandpa D said:
We all knew that there was the possibility of licenses being sold out. After all, that's why there is a limit on sales, to limit the amount of hunters in the field and the amount of animals harvested.
I feel bad for those people that waited until the last minute to try and purchase a license, but why did you wait?
I'll bet you don't wait next year.
Please don't get upset at what I just said, because I'm not saying it to be rude.
I'm just pointing out what we all should have all known already.
We can put the blame where ever we want to but in the end, everyone knew that licenses could sell out.
Right you are, Grandpa D. Lesson learned.

I haven't bought an elk tag since 2002 when I drew an LE tag. I realize this is my own fault but then again it wouldn't have happened if the DWR kept their information at least close to current. I'd have bought my tag long ago had I known the availability was running out. It went from 2,700 to "sold out" over night. Good luck to all you good people going. Conditions seem perfect this year and all reports from people who have been out and about are very good. Lots of elk this year.

I went ML deer hunting last week. I saw elk 2 out of 3 days in the field.

·
Registered
24 Posts
karma said:
I can't help but feel that the DWR owes me the money I've spent on getting ready to go. My preparation was based on the false information they provided to all of us -- right up until the last day. Then it was too late. My money AND my weekend was wasted. Thanks DWR for keeping the public informed.
Spike bull permits sold out late Tuesday afternoon, and the any-bull permits sold out the next morning. We updated the figures on the Web site that afternoon when I got the notice to do so from our licensing section. We made some minor corrections to the figures the following day, which accounts for the Thursday time stamp. Prior to that we were revising the most relevant figures about once per week. The page indicated the day of the last update, which should have served notice to the reader that the figures weren't up-to-the-minute current.

These permits just weren't moving fast until the day before they sold out, when the word seemed to spread that they were nearly gone. We sold the remaining thousand permits in just a few hours.

All this said, the infrastructure isn't there to tie the remaining permits page on the DWR Web site directly in with the database handled by the company that handles the sales. This, admittedly, isn't an ideal situation because it doesn't deliver the latest information, and I wish this weren't the case. Next year, I plan to argue against having the remaining permit page online at all if it can't be tied directly into the sales database and reflect second-by-second information. Despite the time stamp indicating that the figures weren't current, many people failed to notice, and we should have realized that this would be the case. Even so, the figures weren't critical until the last day, when, even if we had been able to provide a second-by-second account, anyone not paying careful attention would have been caught by the rapid run on the remaining permits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info, Cory. I'm done whining now. Your input is always appreciated. And sorry to all those who didn't agree with this being a place to express my displeasure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.