Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I follow this guy on the gram. His name is Randy Larsen and he is the Professor of Wildlife Ecology at BYU.
It seems that most of the mule deer herds went into winter the fattest they’ve been in the last 8 years. Thats good news.
I know a lot of guys don’t do instagram and face book so I’ll just post some screenshots.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Slope Line Font Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
This matches up exactly with what I've seen:
Grey Font Pattern Parallel Publication

Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades Font Pattern

In 2021 there were no deer on Boulder or Kaiparowits.

:(

Reactions: CHIEF_10_BEERS

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The buck I shot had loads of fat on his back. Nearly 2" thick near the tail.

-DallanC
The buck I killed on the Muzzy opener on the Tintic unit was also fat and healthy. All the deer I saw seamed healthy and chunky. A relative killed a mature buck on the Vernon unit rifle hunt and said it was the fattest buck they ever killed
It would be interesting to see what the other forum members observations have been this year in their unit /areas.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I was surprised how much fat my buck had, especially the amount of internal fat. He has been a very good eating deer.
My grandson's little 3 point was the same way.
But, his hasn't been as good table fare for some reason.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I guide disabled guys on doe hunts, and this year had five tags.
All five had large amounts of fat on them this year.
Bonus= now there is room/food on the mountain for five more bucks for next year.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I was going to make a seperate post about the winter, but I'll just add it here:

This is a FANTASTIC winter thus far for deer. We are getting moisture, with warming enough between storms to melt the snow down so they can feed. FANTASTIC! Lets hope this continues for a couple more months.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
I think that every mule deer that I have shot in the last 50+ years during the general seasons has always had a ton of fat on it.
What they need to look at is how much fat is on that buck after the rut. I shot a deer here in Colorado the weekend before Thanksgiving and most of his fat was gone. He was the breeding buck so he had been running his rear off.

Same way with bull elk. The last bull that I shot 5 years ago had zero fat on him at the end of September.....after the rut.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think that every mule deer that I have shot in the last 50+ years during the general seasons has always had a ton of fat on it.
What they need to look at is how much fat is on that buck after the rut. I shot a deer here in Colorado the weekend before Thanksgiving and most of his fat was gone. He was the breeding buck so he had been running his rear off.

Same way with bull elk. The last bull that I shot 5 years ago had zero fat on him at the end of September.....after the rut.
The study was done in December so I would assume that most if not all Rutting activity was over. Also the study was for over all herd health, not just males. Specifically female health and survival rate related to fat reserves. Fat does in December have a better chance of making it through winter healthy and having fawns in the spring. As far as the bucks are concerned their job was completed during the rut. And as DallanC pointed out, the periods of snow then warming will allow the bucks to replenish lost fat reserves.
I'm curious what you would want them to use the information from looking at bucks/bulls fat ratio after the rut for?

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
I was responding to what others had observed with what I have observed over the years.

I'd like to see just how they did the study to determine the amount of fat that was on the animals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
middlefork
Was you an employee, volunteer, or??
Is that something that a guy could volunteer to help out with? I would really like to help out on a project like this if they use volunteers.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Actually I stumbled on to it. I go out to Antelope Island on a regular basis. Just an interested observer but between the action the people involved were more than willing to answer question and such.

They are scheduled. I would imagine you need to follow DWR, MDF or SWF on Facebook or Instagram to get the details. They try to do several different areas every year. I did miss the one up at Hardware Ranch earlier this year as I didn't see it scheduled.

Seems like everybody likes to diss the DWR but I think this study will provide some solid date in regards to the deer herds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info middlefork.
I find that kind of stuff way more interesting than what I do for a living. It would be a super cool experience to be a part of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guide disabled guys on doe hunts, and this year had five tags.
All five had large amounts of fat on them this year.
Bonus= now there is room/food on the mountain for five more bucks for next year.
Thanks for what you are doing for the disabled guys. In the future do you think you could find them a small buck. Those five does likely would have produced 4 or 5 bucks each year for the next few years as well as several replacement does. Not trying to slap you for doing a good deed but we are trying to recover the herd.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for what you are doing for the disabled guys. In the future do you think you could find them a small buck. Those five does likely would have produced 4 or 5 bucks each year for the next few years as well as several replacement does. Not trying to slap you for doing a good deed but we are trying to recover the herd.
Doesn’t work like that in this area.
Place is over run with does, see 100-150 every night on a <250 acre parcel.
Way too many does taking up space/food bucks could use.
Remember not every mountain in Utah is like every other mountain in Utah, there is a reason biologists do what they need to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doesn’t work like that in this area.
Place is over run with does, see 100-150 every night on a <250 acre parcel.
Way too many does taking up space/food bucks could use.
Remember not every mountain in Utah is like every other mountain in Utah, there is a reason biologists do what they need to do.
Have you asked the F & G if they would consider relocating some of them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts