Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going over the Wildlife Board minutes from Aug 07, and during my reading I stubbled apon this. This really bothers me. **O**
He then went over the advantages and disadvantages of these four types of management. He showed a series of graphs looking at how these management types affect the bull segment of the population. These included charts on limited entry bull elk age structure, le w/spike, le with management, le only on harvest, hunters afield, and le age objective management. He explored each of these scenarios.
In summary, if we decrease bull: cow ratio, it will increase population growth. If we increase population growth, it will increase hunting opportunity. If we increase hunting opportunity, it will decrease the quality of harvested bulls. In Utah, we try to stay somewhere in the middle with any bull for opportunity, le with spike for quality plus opportunity, le with management bull for quality plus some opportunity, and le only for quality.
Mr. Johnson said, relative to the elk, at the WAFWA conference, the number one topic was retention and recruitment of hunters. We are in trouble in this state in this area. He would like to put a study item on the action log which would be a statewide spike only on elk and get rid of all the open bull units. By going statewide we would have le tags and then look at age structure in the various units after the spike hunt. We would also need a management bull hunt on the units to take down the mid range bulls. This would increase opportunity and start addressing recruitment and retention of hunters. He would like the DWR to look at this type of change over the next year. This would be one system and less confusing. Spike only is the way to manage elk.
The following motion was made by Keele Johnson, seconded by Lee Howard and passed unanimously.
MOTION: I move that the DWR do a model scenario of statewide spike only hunts with the limited entry portion being determined by age structure on the different units, and we continue to include some management bull harvest.
This really bothered for a couple of reasons, first off they did not bring this up at the RAC's first to get public input. Second it goes against the EMP. They want to do this to help with hunter recruitment. What the F<<K are they thinking? How is making the state spike only going to bring people to hunting? We have already talked about this on here, but come on. Spike tags went underscribed for years, before they reduce tag number, and now they think after just 3 years of having a cap on spike tags, that making the state spike only is going to bring people back to hunting? If they make the state spike only, there are going to lose 6 elk hunters right off the bat.... It's a good thing that I have point's in other states.

Does anyone know who this Keele Johnson guy is and Lee Howard? I think we need to get a linching mob together O*-- O*--

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
He would like to put a study item on the action log which would be a statewide spike only on elk and get rid of all the open bull units.
Maybe Im not reading it right, but he wants statewide spike only units and get rid off all the anybull units.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Second it goes against the EMP.
I totally agree. WHY do they even have a plan if the DWR isnt going to follow it? It all sounds pretty ridicious to me. Will the Deer plan be followed when they re-write it or will they screw hunters on the deer hunt too.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
That is CORRECT, thus the reason for me and my friends to quit hunting. If I can't chase big stinky's then I sure as hell aint going to chase little stinky's
So basically they are saying if you dont draw one of the 2,000 LE tags then they want people to shut up and be happy with a stupid sucking son of a Beeing spike tag.

I think its time for us to round up a few boys and have ourselves a hanging.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey coyote, how come you didn't jump this guys s**t for saying he was going to stop hunting because of changes to the regs? I thought you were sick and tired of people saying this. I'm not trying to start anything here, just wondering why.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
utfireman said:
This really bothered for a couple of reasons, first off they did not bring this up at the RAC's first to get public input.

Second it goes against the EMP. They want to do this to help with hunter recruitment. What the F<<K are they thinking? How is making the state spike only going to bring people to hunting? We have already talked about this on here, but come on. Spike tags went underscribed for years, before they reduce tag number, and now they think after just 3 years of having a cap on spike tags, that making the state spike only is going to bring people back to hunting? If they make the state spike only, there are going to lose 6 elk hunters right off the bat.... It's a good thing that I have point's in other states.
1) Again, they, the Board, requested an informational item...this isn't a proposal. Because it is NOT a proposal, it doesn't need to go to the RACs. The Board decided, in order to "establish the policies best designed to accomplish the purposes and fulfill the intent of all laws pertaining to" elk, to ask the DWR to do a presentation showing the pros and cons of statewide spike hunts. Interestingly, the DWR's presentation did not eliminate the any bull units...
2) I believe that by making the entire state spike only they would and will bring more hunters in and they would sell many more spike tags. By taking away the restrictions on where people can spike hunt, many more people would be inclined to hunt spikes...especially those whose hunting areas are not spike only units. I have discussed this idea with several people in my wife's family...all said that they would start hunting spikes on Monroe if they changed and went to this; none hunt spikes now.
3) For the umpteenth time, this is NOT a proposal...it is an informational item. The unit-byunit management of deer would also go against the current Deer Management Plan...why aren't you so up in arms over that informational item?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Hey coyote, how come you didn't jump this guys s**t for saying he was going to stop hunting because of changes to the regs? I thought you were sick and tired of people saying this. I'm not trying to start anything here, just wondering why.
sfelk34
I never got that far. :D

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
My question for all of you outraged, rightfully, how many of you will be at the Wildlife Board meeting Thursday November 29th at 9:00 am to left them know how we feel?

PRO

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
My question for all of you outraged, rightfully, how many of you will be at the Wildlife Board meeting Thursday November 29th at 9:00 am to left them know how we feel?
I will be there with your favorite ute shirt.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
proutdoors said:

PRO
Interferes with the wasatch hunt but when and where?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'll be there you can count me in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not going to give up hunting, I will, and have changed where and how I have hunted throughout my 16 years of hunt. I have done that in order to keep hunting the animals that I want to chase. But if they take away the any bull hunts, and make the state spike only, Then I will stop hunting elk in the state of Utah. Spike hunting does not appeal to me at all.

Wyo,
This will push people away from elk hunting, the state couldn't sell 19,000 spike tags before 2005. So how is cutting 12,000 people away from any bull hunts going to bring more people to hunting? More and more people are flocking to the any bull tag's. They keep selling more and more each year. Infact, this year they actually sold out.

My hunting ground is over run with people getting tired of hunting spikes. If you want to get more people involved in hunting then add more LE tags. I don't remember the percent of those who put in for the draws , yet never buy a huning licence if they don't draw.

The proof is in the pudding, people what to, and are willing to hunt elk, yet they want to hunt mature elk, not babies.

PRO,
I would love to be there but I have to be a proctor at an ASVAB test here at one of the high schools. But email's are being sent off to Johnson and the others on the wildlife board.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
utfireman said:
This will push people away from elk hunting, the state couldn't sell 19,000 spike tags before 2005. So how is cutting 12,000 people away from any bull hunts going to bring more people to hunting? More and more people are flocking to the any bull tag's. They keep selling more and more each year. Infact, this year they actually sold out.
Utah is not planning on taking away any bull hunts...in fact, the presentation given to the RACs specifically pointed out that nothing will change with the any bull hunts. Also, I think Utah would sell many more spike tags if they didn't restrict where hunters could hunt spikes and made it a statewide plan...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Why is it that they do this meeting at such a crappy time?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
wyo2ut wrote:
The unit-byunit management of deer would also go against the current Deer Management Plan...why aren't you so up in arms over that informational item?
The Deer Management Plan will be redone in 2008, so I am not as concerned with that.

PRO

·
Registered
348 Posts
My question is why the wildlife board thinks it's so crucial that we recruit more hunters. Have any of you been out hunting a general season hunt, looked around at the mob of trucks and SUV's, glanced across the sea of orange, and thought, "****, I sure wish we could get a few more hunters out in the field." Why is increasing hunters always such a priority? I wish there were about half the hunters in this state myself. Can we make a proposal to try and ward off future hunters? I'd be all over that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts