Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I guess I'm done!

Took a drive today to Pineview and Mantua. Ice is still safe to walk on, but the edges are toast for supporting machines. I'm not into walking long distances and pulling a sled, so tomorrow I'll stow the ice fishing gear and work on putting the boat back together. Might make a run to Willard and check everything out on Thursday. I'll also be looking to hit Jordanelle maybe one day next week if the weather looks good up there.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
When they are little like that, I usually would put a life jacket on them over their coat. That usually made them too big to fit through the 10" holes so many wishful thinkers in Utah use. My kids were (and are) very petite and up until they were about 4 they could fit through an 8" hole. The life jacket (I can send you a link to the type I like) adds a lot of peace of mind
Take some raspberry or cherry coolaid packs with you fishing. Sprinkle them around the holes... they will highlight in bright red circles. Helpful for the little tykes to avoid. Environmentally safe too... at about 15cents per pack, cheap insurance.

My son stepped in a hole every trip we went on for years.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I feel your pain Dallan, I'm the same way.
My problems is that I'm also a slow learner. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
How about a title like "Do As I Say, Not As I Did"

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I'm not into walking long distances and pulling a sled, so tomorrow I'll stow the ice fishing gear and work on putting the boat back together.
Done? Do we need to cue the Belushi quote? (although the last time I quoted it, half of the respondents didn't know what I was talking about.)

I went today. Conditions were very nice but it was actually a bit slow. Probably the slowest ice trip for me this year. Didn't get skunked though. ;)

Hopefully, I'll get a couple more trips in.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went to Strawberry today, extremely good weather.
Caught eleven lame cutts and one decent rainbow.
Lots of lookers and had to convince them to strike.
Caught on white jigs with pieces of crawler stabbed on.
No kokes sadly.
Didn’t measure ice but seemed to be 21-22”.
Was 17 degrees upon arrival and 41 degrees at departure.
Very good edges but did hit small slush on way back in but blew through it easily.
Very solid on way out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Went to Strawberry today, extremely good weather.
Caught eleven lame cutts and one decent rainbow.
Lots of lookers and had to convince them to strike.
Caught on white jigs with pieces of crawler stabbed on.
No kokes sadly.
Didn't measure ice but seemed to be 21-22".
Was 17 degrees upon arrival and 41 degrees at departure.
Very good edges but did hit small slush on way back in but blew through it easily.
Very solid on way out.
Sounds like we had a similar day.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Done? Do we need to cue the Belushi quote? (although the last time I quoted it, half of the respondents didn't know what I was talking about.)
Uhhhh, Catherder, the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, genius! Classic.

I am wondering if I can catch walleye on my fly rod here soon? My mind has kind of shifted from hard deck to the long stick a bit.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Uhhhh, Catherder, the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, genius! Classic.

I am wondering if I can catch walleye on my fly rod here soon? My mind has kind of shifted from hard deck to the long stick a bit.
Maybe. I've been doing much better with the long stick than the ice rods lately, (which is quite rare for me) so maybe a toothy critter may be soon had on the fly.

Might be worth a shot in a week or two.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I've never tried for them, but have always wanted to. In the immortal words of Chris Ledoux, sometimes you've just got to ride!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Ice isn't over yet. Wasn't personally stellar but both me and a buddy caught 20+ each today. 19 inches of hard/clear ice.

The weekend is supposed to be pretty warm though.............

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ice isn't over yet. Wasn't personally stellar but both me and a buddy caught 20+ each today. 19 inches of hard/clear ice.

Since I'm unable to travel more than an hour one way for day trips, its over for me. I'm glad some of you can still get to those higher elevation lakes. Boat trips from now on for me.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

Life is good when you have a 20+ fish day and you don’t call it stellar.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
OK, now its over.

Son and I hit the hard deck for a spring break outing. We goofed off a little but still had a decent day action wise. Weather was great and we had the lake to ourselves. The ice we were fishing on was 20 inches of hard, clear ice, but the edges have really declined and are now sketchy. It will worsen in the next few days, and no more time for a week, so that's it. :(

Son caught this doinker with a little help from pop.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts