Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whomever was at Timpie springs and had a nice spread of decoys in the northwest corner of the pond...my apologies for my newb brain thinking I was about to have the best chance of getting my first duck. Hopefully you didn't see me drop below the berm and then pop my eager head up a couples times to check them out. I spent the rest of my walk around the pond laughing at myself. Hopefully you weren't too. ;)

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
I never had duck deek's shot at... but I have a few dove decoys with birdshot holes in them. IDK how people can miss the big clip for feet thing on them ... /shrug

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I mean... Unless you want to show me the ropes I'm learning all this by error and trial
Stalking someone’s decoys was the best strategy you could come up with to shoot a duck? You couldn’t tell they were decoys from just looking at them? No, I’ve never stalked decoys or had anyone do it to me. It’s not a common mistake hunters make

go walk down center dike at Farmington, sit between bridge 2 and 3 on the south side of the dike. Use the reeds as cover and wait. It’s not that tough.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Stalking someone’s decoys was the best strategy you could come up with to shoot a duck? You couldn’t tell they were decoys from just looking at them? No, I’ve never stalked decoys or had anyone do it to me. It’s not a common mistake hunters make

go walk down center dike at Farmington, sit between bridge 2 and 3 on the south side of the dike. Use the reeds as cover and wait. It’s not that tough.
When people are learning, this isn't how you teach them, and this coming from me.

Reactions: Stimmy

·
Registered
34 Posts
We had a set of full body fully flocked goose decoys set up. Heard a truck coming up on the side of the hill, and stop. A teen age boy and and a younger boy came down the access point. They got within a few yards from us and seen us, the the young boy laughing "you thought they were real geese”.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ouch! That’s pretty harsh.
When I was a teen I did a fair amount of things looking back now wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever come up with, but then again some of them as mentioned by others were pretty memorable.
A couple maneuvers I can think of actually turned out pretty successful. Not from cunning or a well laid thoughtful plan but being out, being busy, and at the right place at the right time.
Give em’a break.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts