Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Just been seeing bulls no spikes though
That was always my luck on the South Cache for spike hunts - I'd see huge bulls and plenty of cows when all I could take was a spike.....

Anyways, I'd imagine finding water would be a good bet- it's still plenty hot this time of year. If you're already into the elk, chances are you'll see a cow or spike soon enough.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That's the trick with spike hunting. With a spike tag, the majority of the bulls you find will be off limits. Keep looking! Find groups of cows - there will be a higher chance of the spikes hanging around with them.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sorry...forgot you had an either sex spike/cow archery tag. Just find the cows! Get out at first light, and stay until it's pitch dark. With this heat, the elk will bed in the thick stuff early and often won't come out till very late. If you miss the first half hour of daylight or last half hour prior to dusk, you miss the best time to spot them. Get on a high point where you can see lots of country and use your binos or spotter (if you have one) to do the work for you. Once you locate elk, move in (or make a plan of attack for the next day).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.