Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to not fish this time of the year. It wasn't always the case. A long time ago, on an island far far away, winter was one of my favorite times to fish. We lived on the south shore of molokai, just outside of the main city, Kaunakakai. (If you can call anything on that island a "main city") In the winter the south side of the islands are flat. The North shores what you see in all the surfing videos and stuff, but the south... nothing.

On this day we were fishing what we had loving named the "blue Hole" The reef was about 60 feet deep in this area. All except for the blue hole. At this place the reef made a quick drop to over 200 feet! It was soooo freakin fun to drop a live o'ama or mo'ana down there to see what would gobble it up. (Those are two different types of goat fish). My dad had a mo'ana about 5 or six inches long rigged up. We hadn't had any hits in a while so we were gonna go work some shallower areas that were more consistent, but didn't give us monsters. We all pulled our lines in except my dad who thought he was snagged on the bottom. The bottom pulled back! He had a bad shoulder and couldn't reel it in so he handed it to me. I don't know how long it took, but I was tired. It was my first Ulua. (Giant Trevally)

When I look at this picture I think... I miss Hawaii and **** I got fat! LOL

These next pictures are mahi mahi from a couple of different trips. Usually to hook into pelagic fish like Mahi mahi you have to be at least a few miles out to sea. Some people on Molokai would go out 20+ miles to the FAD's (Fish Aggregating Devices). My dad knew of some old weather buoys about a mile off the shore towards the western end of the island. Nobody could figure out how we did so well! We would troll out there, catch a couple, then come home and eat them. My friends, nothing taste better than a fresh mahi filet and a fresh bag of poi!

This is my little bro. Kaai

From left to right: my bros. Kalani, Kaai, Fish, Kekoa, and my Dad. I'm taking the picture.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Thanks for the glimpse into your background. Island life...I can only imagine. (dreaming)

Awesome looking fish. I'm glad you can still have fun catching freshwater fish after growing up around the ocean.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That would be so fun to do that. I know the Mahi Mahi must taste good because when I was in Hawaii this past summer (first time), we ate at a fancy restaurant and the Mahi Mahi was like $30 for a small serving!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was awesome. Don't get me wrong, catching trout is fun, but a 30 lb mahi mahi on spinning gear... ridiculus. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts