Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, two of my son's have cow elk tags that ends this Sunday.

I know the northern part of this unit well, archery elk and a few rifle elk hunts with my son. But the southern part, where I kinda figured we would have to go I had none. I was kinda gambling on a winter like last years. With this late of a hunt it's a gamble with the snow and access. I was hoping for the best.

Last week we went around Hanna with the hopes that we could drive up Blind Stream road and get up to public land. No luck, we got maybe 200 yards and the snow was too deep for our 4wd. I know, it seems pretty naive. We talked to several locals to see if we could get access to some private land. Most of the private land is small chunks. The one kind gentleman we talked with by Blind stream said, "Everyone in Hanna owns 20 acres, Everyone and their DOG owns 20 acres..." Everyone we talked with was very kind and patient, when we left we figured we were 6 for 6 on talking to nice people, no one was short or impatient and really seemed like if they could help, they would have. But we struck out.

This week while school was out we went up to Moon Lake and Yellowstone.

At Moon lake we glassed as much as we could and even got out and hiked around for a while. The snow was just below the knees and made for tough going.

We went up to the Yellowstone area and drove/glassed for quit a while, nothing but rabbits. We could make it in about a mile (on public land), someone had driven further but I didn't think our rig would make it, and I forgot to throw in a shovel. On the way out one of my sons noticed some elk on the side hill about 1/2 mile into reservation land, about 30 cows. A drone would have come in handy to push them back up the canyon. Is that legal?

We're planning on going out again this weekend so,

If you own or know someone that owns private land on this unit and wants a couple of elk removed pm me.

Should we stick with the Moon Lake and/or Yellowstone areas and just be more patient? To me it seems like Yellowstone has more potential, maybe?

Are there any other areas that you would try that would have public access? We don't mind hiking, even in the snow, especially if we have a chance of seeing some. I will admit though, after about an hour of hiking in that amount of snow my 'fun' meter was pegged.

Best regards!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A drone would have come in handy to push them back up the canyon. Is that legal?

Wow. And NO

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE!

I looked into that hard when I had my moose tag there a couple years ago.
The south end out that unit is the biggest checker board mess I've ever seen....
Only way a guy would ever have a chance would be an overlay on a GPS.

Not even worth the chance the way it is patrolled by reservation law enforcement..

As for the drone,
I cant believe you even ask...:shock:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ya ouch on the drone question that's gotta be the definition of harassing wild game this time of year. And how is that even true hunting. Good luck on your hunt but keep it classy.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Haha I kinda knew you were gonna get barbecued for that drone question. I know nothing of the unit you are asking about, but I wish you and your boys good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts