Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend from Flagstaff and I are hunting Utah for the first time and going to South Slope Yellowstone unit for deer. We are excited and not afraid to put on some miles! We also have cow elk tags. Was curious if anyone would be willing to share any intel on the unit? Not looking for anyone's favorite spot but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fritz

·
Registered
750 Posts
Man that unit is tough. I would recommend using the Utah Hunt Planner on the Utah DWR website. It probably has more info on the unit than you will get from guys on this site. Most are pretty tight lipped about general season units.

Good luck. There is a lot of deer and elk on the unit, but the unit is MASSIVE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also hitting this unit for the first time with my rifle tag. I'll be backpacking in and camping for 3-5 days. Wall tent will be set up at the truck in case it gets real cold.

Give the bio's at UDWR a call. I had a good chat with one that gave me a solid overview of the unit and confirmed a few details regarding the specific spots I'll be hunting. In my opinion a successful hunt is largely a function of time - the more time you spend looking, the more likely you will be successful. My plan is in place, now it comes down to spending as much time in the field behind my optics.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Follow ashley national forest on Facebook. Right now there is a big forest fire that is affecting that hunt area. Ashley national forest post updates on what is closed because of fire on their Facebook . I find it funny when people say I would like a good spot but not your honey hole. Well if I know a good spot then it is my honey hole.

Like another had said utah hunt planner is a good resource on where to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts