Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just asking about the South slope/ Yellowstone unit, ive never hunted there and might draw it this year. havent scouted much yet and wondering if anybody has knowledge on specific spots. Thx

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey just asking about the South slope/ Yellowstone unit, ive never hunted there and might draw it this year. havent scouted much yet and wondering if anybody has knowledge on specific spots. Thx
Sorry someone had to blast ya! Years back hunted elk several times. I'd suggest starting on the west end and spend time time hiking. One really nice thing about that unit is it's great excuse to go backpacking through the summer. Of course watch the south boundaries and good luck.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Haven't hunted the uinta's yet, but that's a backpack hunt, on an any bull elk unit if im not mistaken. Lot of ground to cover, probably a lot of recreationlists due to coivd, and the elk there are probably going to be hard to find. Hope you've had your boots down on the unit a lot.

As an aside, the best time to scout a unit, is during the actual hunt, the year before you plan on putting in for it. Just sayin'. Yeah, I know, it takes away time from your current tag. No big loss of time if its an OTC tag.

My 4 beers worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Open bull is our yearly hunt there and do alright. Buck deer is tougher. Have to stay lower, on faces, canyon out of pole pines for deer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hunted this unit for muleys last season. My advice/opinion would be this - If you're not prepared to do a full send backpacking/horsepacking trip this tag probably isn't for you. Lack of H20 on the landscape makes it tough to plan for extended stays in the back country. It should go without saying that the further away from people and roads you get the better your chances.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hunted this unit for muleys last season. My advice/opinion would be this - If you're not prepared to do a full send backpacking/horsepacking trip this tag probably isn't for you. Lack of H20 on the landscape makes it tough to plan for extended stays in the back country. It should go without saying that the further away from people and roads you get the better your chances.
Yes, I agree with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve hunted the South Slope Yellowstone for the last 3 years with a couple great buddies. Ok first of all we are midwest upland game hunters that happen to be in really good physical condition. By no means are we “elk hunters.” We see elk every year. Last year it was the evening before season. We watched a 6x6 a cow and a calf for 30 minutes grazing in the meadow we dropped camp on. Never seen them again. The year before I killed a spike and my buddy killed a 5x5. Seen 7 elk in 3 days. Don’t be afraid to hunt high high high high. And like I said I’m by no means an elk hunter, BUT I’ve never watched an elk hunting show and seen somebody leaning against a tree watching a meadow for 6 hours. Keep moving. I think the south slope at a higher elevation is so beautiful!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I’ve hunted the South Slope Yellowstone for the last 3 years with a couple great buddies. Ok first of all we are midwest upland game hunters that happen to be in really good physical condition. By no means are we “elk hunters.” We see elk every year. Last year it was the evening before season. We watched a 6x6 a cow and a calf for 30 minutes grazing in the meadow we dropped camp on. Never seen them again. The year before I killed a spike and my buddy killed a 5x5. Seen 7 elk in 3 days. Don’t be afraid to hunt high high high high. And like I said I’m by no means an elk hunter, BUT I’ve never watched an elk hunting show and seen somebody leaning against a tree watching a meadow for 6 hours. Keep moving. I think the south slope at a higher elevation is so beautiful!
You also didn’t see an elk hunting show that took place on a general public land area. They are all big pieces of private behind a very big, locked gate.

it’s amazing what happens and what you see when you sit down, stay still and are quiet. Elk avoid noise and movement in these areas. They move more, when the hunter doesn’t.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You also didn’t see an elk hunting show that took place on a general public land area. They are all big pieces of private behind a very big, locked gate.

it’s amazing what happens and what you see when you sit down, stay still and are quiet. Elk avoid noise and movement in these areas. They move more, when the hunter doesn’t.
Wildhorse, I think MM meant to say congratulations on your success. I'd say you are an elk hunter with solid success. Well done!!

MM, Watch better shows; Newberg, Eastman, Western Hunter, Meateater. Steve's Outdoor Adventures will be ok without you.

I learned about quiet from Old Trapper Jerky commercial but thanks for reiterating it's important to be quiet and still. 🙂

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wildhorse, I think MM meant to say congratulations on your success. I'd say you are an elk hunter with solid success. Well done!!

MM, Watch better shows; Newberg, Eastman, Western Hunter, Meateater. Steve's Outdoor Adventures will be ok without you.

I learned about quiet from Old Trapper Jerky commercial but thanks for reiterating it's important to be quiet and still. 🙂
You think Meat Beater is the real deal? Oh boy. I know what I’m dealing with now. Thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ll take all the advice I can get. I’m waiting on that July day, I think it’s the 13th when tags go up for sale. I’m lucky to have a job with flexible time off so I can be sitting at home on the computer waiting to log in. Some people don’t have that luxury. I have a million compliments to give your state and one complaint. The first come first serve for those rifle tags. Anyway. I guess I’m just overwhelmed with the beauty of the higher elevation 10,000 ft or so. I just leave camp early and make a big loop and return at dark. So you’re probably right, if I stopped taking so many photos I’d probably be a better hunter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts