Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If its above the ear on one side legal, if its below the ear on both sides legal, if its above the ears on both sides illegal, assuming following the natural curve if the antler its over 1" which it sure looks like it to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with forking above the ears, and a 1 inch criteria, legal or not legal in a spike area?
Left measure is a inch right is more than an inch…
Not legal.
It should only matter on one side if I’m not mistaken, but I guess my dilemma is do you calculate an inch from the left or the right side in the picture. Left side is an inch, measuring from the right side is more than an inch. Obviously the safe bet would be not to shoot, but just trying to gain some more clarity, but I think with the regulations the way they are written, it’s up for interpretation…

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The picture isn't a brow tine (below the ear) and looks closer to the tip. To me it looks longer than an inch (not sure how they would measure? B&C guidelines?} and I would not shoot.

I err on the side of caution. I don't need the angst.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts

It should only matter on one side if I’m not mistaken, but I guess my dilemma is do you calculate an inch from the left or the right side in the picture. Left side is an inch, measuring from the right side is more than an inch. Obviously the safe bet would be not to shoot, but just trying to gain some more clarity, but I think with the regulations the way they are written, it’s up for interpretation…
IIRC it is an inch or more/"at least an inch", so it is a moot question on the where do you measure left/right. That antler does not meet the definition of a legal spike, so you'd have to turn to the other antler and evaluate it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Comment made under the assumption the other antler was already ruled out as legal.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

I don't think the rule is vague at all. You always measure something from it's longest point. If you are trying to make a fish fit under the slot limit for example, you don't measure from bottom of the fork in it's tail. If you are measuring how wide, you don't measure the inside, etc. I'd bet you really do understand, you're just hoping there is a loophole you can use that might get you off the hook if you make a bad decision. Seriously, trying to spin the obvious just won't sit well with the judge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think the rule is vague at all. You always measure something from it's longest point. If you are trying to make a fish fit under the slot limit for example, you don't measure from bottom of the fork in it's tail. If you are measuring how wide, you don't measure the inside, etc. I'd bet you really do understand, you're just hoping there is a loophole you can use that might get you off the hook if you make a bad decision. Seriously, trying to spin the obvious just won't sit well with the judge.
Fair enough. I would agree

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know that’s been done before! 🤣
I saw a 4x spike, he turned his head and saw a split on the spike side. I let him walk, bumped into him in the hay field in November. The split was a stuck little piece of velvet... should a dumped it. Hes a nice 320 bull now and still growing

·
Super Moderator
9,798 Posts
I saw a 6x6 360 bull fight maybe 4 years ago and broke a main beam off on one side, boom legal spike but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Then the next day I fell and broke my back out there so thats what I got for thinking about it 😂
I believe what Moose was talking about was for the hunter to break the branch antler off and then calling him a spike. Which in my book is not legal, but I also have seen it done on elk and deer in a point restricted area.

Now if it is broken off in a fight with another bull then that would be considered natural and a legal animal to shoot in a spike elk area.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I believe what Moose was talking about was for the hunter to break the branch antler off and then calling him a spike. Which in my book is not legal, but I also have seen it done on elk and deer in a point restricted area.

Now if it is broken off in a fight with another bull then that would be considered natural and a legal animal to shoot in a spike elk area.
Here’s the story regarding that statement.

2 buddies were rifle hunting the wasatch 2 years ago. One had a LE mid tag, the others a spike tag. They found a shooter big bull one morning at first light. The guy got focused on the horns and sent some kinda big round right through the main beam just about the 2nd on one side, breaking it completely off… which then turned him into a legal “spike” by definition. The spike hunter then killed that bull on a spike tag. Another group of hunters watched this all happen, and turned the guys in after they questioned them about what all went down and the hunter said that was a “spike”. It was investigated and of it did turn out to be a legal spike. The big bull hunter then kill a giant bull the next day. Kind of a grey area on doing things, but whatever works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts