Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If I had the money, I'd open a small Ma-N-Pa sporting goods store and carry what folks really want. Weapons, reloading component's, Archery and have a gunsmith shop in the back. Leave the cloths and "fluff" to the now "chain" stores.

SW tried to go big opening a lot of stores years ago across the country. Good idea, but they spread out the inventory doing so and couldn't keep the stores stocked with product. You cant sell merchandise and make money if you don't have it in stock.

The largest profit margin in sporting goods is clothing and footwear. depending on the maker, its a 40-75 percent mark-up. That is what keeps the lights on.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Honestly, I didn’t like Sportsman’s to begin with, after a couple of bad experiences I decided to never shop there again.

First incident was 2 years ago, I went in to buy a shotgun, the sales rep was literally begging me to buy something in addition to my shotgun, because they are apparently “rated on their upselling” as he put it. He kept trying to walk me around to buy something extra, then he tried guilting me into buy a bronze brush “cause it’s only $3” I told him no and that I had a **** ton at home but he wouldn’t stop. This entire exchange lasted 20 minutes, I eventually told him that I was taking my business elsewhere and walked off.

Last year, my wife went in to buy a .22, she had my baby in her arms who was 3 months at the time, they she stood there for 30 minutes trying to get help as they continued to help other people that showed up way after her, so she left and got the gun at Smith & Edwards, which is where we go now.

Screw sportsman’s.

·
Administrator
7,884 Posts
Sportsmans has the worst gun counter ever.

I agree with Ray. They help whomever they feel like.

At least Cabelas had a ticket system to help people on order of arrival.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I'm not thrilled to hear this, as SW is on the way home from work and is very convenient for picking up odds and ends for upcoming trips. I haven't been overjoyed with how "The Great Outdoors group" manages their other holdings.

Can't say I'm surprised either, as my local SW has been low on inventory for several months. It probably was partially a function of the pending purchase.

My main fear is that they will close stores as part of a "streamlining effort".

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Their upselling policy was getting old. That said I also used them for a few odds and ends. They have been great for ice fishing lures and such.

But I mostly use Bass Pro the same way.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I have a hard time with SW here in Cedar. It seems I can rarely find what I want -- but they sure have a bunch of other stuff that I don't want. Usually it's expensive too. But that goes for all of the stores -- you can't find cheap camo. You can find a cheap beanie. You can't find a cheap surface plug.

but what really gets me is that the last two times I've gone to buy some .270 ammo, they have none. None. Nothing at all.

I stop in to C-A-L Ranch these days if I need something off the shelf. Otherwise, it's Amazon. And that sucks too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I kind of wonder if that will pass regulators. I wonder if they'll need to spin off some operations.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
After the Christmas ordering fiasco last year at Cabelas/Bass Pro, I swore I was done with them. Guess what? So far so good, haven't ordered a thing from there or been in the store. It's Scheels for me these days.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I agree with the comments above, my three go-to stores are Smith & Edwards, C-A-L Ranch and Scheels.

Now if I’m in a pinch and I need a bunch of ammo that’s competitively priced, I go to Gallenson’s, they ALWAYS have a butt ton of ammo and there’s no limit.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I kind of wonder if that will pass regulators. I wonder if they'll need to spin off some operations.
No. Too many competitors still.

Economy of scale only works to a certain degree. It doesn't take much to become sluggish to market changes. And trying to make share holders happy can lead to ruin in a hurry.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
but what really gets me is that the last two times I've gone to buy some .270 ammo, they have none. None. Nothing at all.
The current run on ammo far exceeds anything we've seen in the past. The huge bottleneck atm is primers, I see people on ksl regularly asking $150-180 per thousand... when not long ago they were $35. And most of what was being offered actually sold (small pistol / small rifle).

If you reload and you dont have alot of supplies you are pretty much screwed at this point.

Its getting worse. I'd highly recommend if you shoot a good factory ammo, get on a site like Gunbroker, find a moderately overpriced case of ammo and buy it. Sure its painful to pay steep markups... but if things continue like they are, that ammo is going to be crazy priced over the next year.

9mm pistol ammo, one of the most commonly produce calibers on earth is over $1 a round now. Over the weekend, I saw a box of plain old green box Remington 22-250 ammo: $35 :shock:

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The current run on ammo far exceeds anything we've seen in the past. The huge bottleneck atm is primers, I see people on ksl regularly asking $150-180 per thousand... when not long ago they were $35. And most of what was being offered actually sold (small pistol / small rifle).

If you reload and you dont have alot of supplies you are pretty much screwed at this point.

Its getting worse. I'd highly recommend if you shoot a good factory ammo, get on a site like Gunbroker, find a moderately overpriced case of ammo and buy it. Sure its painful to pay steep markups... but if things continue like they are, that ammo is going to be crazy priced over the next year.

9mm pistol ammo, one of the most commonly produce calibers on earth is over $1 a round now. Over the weekend, I saw a box of plain old green box Remington 22-250 ammo: $35

-DallanC
The armory currently has 1k round boxes of 9mm for $500

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with the comments above, my three go-to stores are Smith & Edwards, C-A-L Ranch and Scheels.

Now if I'm in a pinch and I need a bunch of ammo that's competitively priced, I go to Gallenson's, they ALWAYS have a butt ton of ammo and there's no limit.
Ray you couldn't turn me on to that little tidbit called Gallensons earlier? Think I found my new favorite store and where I'll be heading as soon as I'm back in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Gallensons always takes advantage to price gouge. Thats why they usually have inventory... if you can afford it, great I guess. I cant imagine ever setting foot in there again. To each his own.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Gallensons always takes advantage to price gouge. Thats why they usually have inventory... if you can afford it, great I guess. I cant imagine ever setting foot in there again. To each his own.

-DallanC
Prices are a higher than what they used to be in there but I've found them to actually be a little bit below the rest of the price gouging going on. Again, I only use them when I'm in a pinch and need something.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts