Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the sportsmen draw opened today. Just put my $110 in the hat. Good luck to everyone, might as well put you name in the hat and hope you're the lucky one.

Reactions: dkhntrdstn

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I donated 10 bucks.
At least you'll feel better than me about the one unsuccessful. It's terrible odds, but this and the expo are the only chance to hunt many of the species in Utah before I die so I put my money on the table. I don't plan on supporting the expo again until someone else is running it so I'm still money ahead....or I'm convincing myself of that.

Which did you apply for?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Ill throw my usual 50 bucks at it. Deer elk moose bison and bighorn

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm in.

Isn't it funny that we actually find ourselves thinking maybe this is the year...... every time we do this?

Deer 0.0002% chance
Elk 0.0002% chance
Moose 0.0004% chance - Hey, almost as good as the regular OIL draw for moose!

If you really want a chance go for the turkey tag. It's the best odds at 0.0023% chance

Of course these numbers are from last year so I can always hope that there are not 6396 (or more) people that put in for the one deer tag this time.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Actually, when you convert the probability of a draw from decimal to percent it becomes a 0.02% chance for deer and elk and a 0.04% chance for moose (with some rounding error in there).

Feel better?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I don't think I would have ever given these permits a second thought if you hadn't posted this reminder here 1-I...

...so I think I'll blame you for the $30 I just wasted. :mrgreen:

(unless I actually draw, in which case I owe you a huge thank-you).

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The sportsman's tag is a good way to get some cash to the department without the private interest getting in the middle. I say good on those that throw their wallet in the ring. Personally, I'm in for Elk, Deer, Mt. Goat and Big horn

Reactions: #1DEER 1-I

·
Registered
581 Posts
Actually, when you convert the probability of a draw from decimal to percent it becomes a 0.02% chance for deer and elk and a 0.04% chance for moose (with some rounding error in there).

Feel better?
OH CRAP! You're right Clarq, that tag is mine now for sure.....

Reactions: Clarq

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
$ 80 up, up and away! I only buy entries for the OIL species' that I don't already have points for and have an interest in hunting.

Elk, Deer, Desert BH, Mt.Goat for myself
Elk, Deer, Mt.Goat, Bison for my son...

I feel hunting will eventually get cheaper once he starts buying his own entries and tags...but probably not. :-?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
...I feel hunting will eventually get cheaper once he starts buying his own entries and tags...but probably not. :-?
My guess is NOT! My daughters love hunting and being up on the mountain but they will hunt as long as I pay for the tags. If I tell them they have to flip for it they will skip the hunt.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Last call for y'all to jump in and make my odds even worse. :mrgreen:

I'm glad I applied early. If nothing else, it's resulted in a lot of good daydreams about what I'll do when I draw one of the bighorn tags.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Well, I just threw my $50 in the hat. Bison, Desert Rockies, Moose, Mtn. Goats, and Elk. Wasn't planning to put in but figured since my luck on tags has been pretty **** good over the last year, I might as well continue to roll with it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts