Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this is the Sportsmens Permit buck. Hes 41.5" inches wide and is 13x13. WHAT A MONSTER BUCK!!!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture ought to make the trophy hunters jealous and the baby deer killers will be saying if only he was way smaller and younger then he would be goooooooood eating!!!!

I just ate a steak from my old Wyoming buck and he is very delicious.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
This buck was shot by the brother of one of my students...it is great to see a trophy animal and the sportsmen's tag not filled by a client of a guide...great DYI hunt!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I don't like him.... too much mass and too many points... whatever happened to a nice clean four point?? :p

JUST KIDDING!!! That is an amazing buck.... really spectacular. Nice that the guy did it DIY too. You gotta respect those kind of results.

·
Registered
812 Posts
it doesn't look like he did it himself at all. looks to me like he had a posse with him as well....

not that i blame him if i drew that tag i would ask for as much help as possible to get a deer like that for the wall. congrats either way DIY or with an outfitter great deer.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
callofthewild said:
it doesn't look like he did it himself at all. looks to me like he had a posse with him as well....

not that i blame him if i drew that tag i would ask for as much help as possible to get a deer like that for the wall. congrats either way DIY or with an outfitter great deer.
It looks to me like there is a lot of family resemblence in that possee.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
callofthewild said:

+1 1/8

I am always confused on the term "DYI", does it really mean do it yourself, or merely a distiction of not using a guide/outfitter? I have no desire to take away from this hunters success, but when comments like:
it is great to see a trophy animal and the sportsmen's tag not filled by a client of a guide...great DYI hunt!
are made it makes me chuckle a bit. I suppose a local with lots of family/friends helping out is somehow more 'pure' than a non-res employing one or two guides, just not sure why. :? Maybe Mr wyo2ut can explain it to me. :roll: Being as he enjoys posting how 'clueless I am so often.

I should say I enjoy seeing 'average joes' kill the biggest/baddest critters, as I hope to get 'lucky' someday myself.

PRO

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
wyoming2utah said:
This buck was shot by the brother of one of my students...it is great to see a trophy animal and the sportsmen's tag not filled by a client of a guide...great DYI hunt!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry *-HELP!-*

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
proutdoors said:
I am always confused on the term "DYI", does it really mean do it yourself, or merely a distiction of not using a guide/outfitter?
I don't know about anyone else but to me it means getting myself on an animal, no help, other than a friend or two that might be with me glassing, certainly no large crowd of folks covering a large area to find a deer FOR me.... That, at least in my book, doesn't count as DIY. Having friends and family help you pack it out doesn't take away the fact that you "did the hunt" by yourself, depending on you to make it happen..... I think thats the big difference between the DIY guys, "gangs" of hunters, and the outfitter needed crowd. If folks want to use an outfitter, thats no big deal....I'm not down with paying somebody to put me on critters but I don't expect anyone else to have the same beliefs or whatever that I choose to follow. The guys are right in that outfitted hunt or not, it is a nice deer. 8)

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
proutdoors said:
I am always confused on the term "DYI", does it really mean do it yourself, or merely a distiction of not using a guide/outfitter?
I don't know about anyone else but to me it means getting myself on an animal, no help, other than a friend or two that might be with me glassing, certainly no large crowd of folks covering a large area to find a deer FOR me.... That, at least in my book, doesn't count as DIY. Having friends and family help you pack it out doesn't take away the fact that you "did the hunt" by yourself, depending on you to make it happen..... I think thats the big difference between the DIY guys, "gangs" of hunters, and the outfitter needed crowd. If folks want to use an outfitter, thats no big deal....I'm not down with paying somebody to put me on critters but I don't expect anyone else to have the same beliefs or whatever that I choose to follow. The guys are right in that outfitted hunt or not, it is a nice deer. 8)
So, using your definition this was NOT a DIY hunt. I agree with your definition by the way. I do NOT consider having family/friends looking and locating animals any different than a couple of guides doing the SAME exact thing. JMHO.

I find it perplexing how I and others get jumped and called to the floor for mocking rifle hunters, saying it is not healthy to 'divide' hunters. Isn't making remarks about DIY as opposed to guided hunters doing atleast as much 'damage' to the unity and outlook for hunting? What I see is a MAJOR double standard.

PRO

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd just like a chance at some of the bucks the guy must've turned down to get that one!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Great job, Newby's !

by wyoming2utah on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:52 am

So Shad's one of your student, just sorta know them.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I guess I should say a little more than Great Job. He is an good sized buck but really isn't what I like not to say I wouldn't shoot him but to tell you the truth I like taller more than wider.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts