Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a spotting scope and I could really use some advice. I will mostly be doing back country elk and deer with lots of hiking. My problem is that I'm kind of ballin on a budget here and I'm wondering if I can get a decent scope for 1,000 or under? I'll buy a new or used on as long as it's in good condition. Any advice?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I recently bought a vortex viper HD. It was under $1000, and I have not been disappointed. The lifetime warrantee is hard to beat too. Kents Marketplace is the best place to buy optics in Northern Utah. It's a hidden gem. They sell them cheaper than anywhere around.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Vortex Razor 16x48x65. They are listed at $1199 but you can get them cheaper. Kent's is a great suggestion. Got it this year with a lightweight tripod and it's been awesome. You do sacrifice some things going smaller and lighter weight, but it's a fantastic backcountry spotter.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I switched the Vortex Viper HD 15X50 binocs as it gave me kind of the best of both. Again, Kent's in Tremonton is the place to buy!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Vortex viper HD 20x60x80 is what I have got it used off of ksl for a steal of a deal and it was probably the most important piece of equipment I used this year i love it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Spotters

If you're backpacking take a serious look at the compact spotters. My favorite is the Vortex Razor 50mm compact. Great scope, and way under your budget. A close second would be the Leupold compact that was listed in the thread. I also really like the little minox compact scope, it's not as clear, but can be had for around $250 and is a steal at that price.

If you do want something a little bigger in the 65mm range, look hard at the Viper and Razor from Vortex. I also have been impressed with the Vanguard Endeavor HD spotters. Found here: http://amzn.to/1GKWv3z -- at under $500 these are a steal.

There are a lot of great options out there. If you go to a big box store, make sure you take them outside in lower light conditions to look through them, as many will look very similar during the middle of the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts