Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week someone on here had a question as to whether or not they should turn in or keep their Henry's bison tag due to work/family/whatever issues. My advice was to hunt it and figure things out from there.

Enter today at about 2pm...the DWR calls me and says that someone turned in their Stansbury Sheep tag and that the tag is mine if I want it. Talk about a bomb shell! You could have heard a pin drop, and I bet the woman thought we may have gotten disconnected or something. I'm still in shock, and my head is spinning. I'm 98% sure I'll take the tag, but without any previous scouting, I'm starting from ground zero with a week to go, weekends, and 3 days over the Thanksgiving holiday, plus a couple extra PTO days to hunt if needed. I did speak to one member of this forum last fall about the unit / hunt, but if anyone else has useful info, I'm all ears. Feel free to PM me.

I have until 4pm tomorrow to accept the tag. I intend to make that final decision by noon. Like I said, I'm 98% certain I take the tag, but would sure love to hear others thoughts or insights. B/t/w - I had 13 points going in. Max is 17.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Do it!!!! I seem to recall a guy or two in here who knows that unit incredibly well... Wish I could help but I know diddly squat about the area! I still want pics though!

30 Posts
Shaun knows the unit very well. He said absolutely take it. If you want, I'll PM you his phone number and you can ask him any questions and he said he will give you info on where he's found sheep before

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Take the tag!
I'm sure Katorade, Shaun L. or Ridgetop can help you out. I can also tell you what I know.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Best wishes with the decision (and hopefully the hunt). What an opportunity!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Woo hoo!! Dude that is awesome congrats!! I wish I could help personally (never hunted out there at all) but I do happen to have a buddy who has a buddy that pretty much does all of his hunting out there. I will start hitting him up for info and you know I have your back with the horse factor if needed. Turning out to be quite the year for you...

·
Registered
130 Posts
TAKE THE TAG
With the scarcity of sheep tags you may never draw another one. I live at the base of the Stansburry's and can show you where the sheep are .
Good luck
Wes

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive reinforcement and offers to help where possible...keep it coming!!! :):):)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is this the same as the new Founland hunt? I have a close family member with a late tag there and we could really use some help with the area. We've scouted a little on the north end but haven't had a ton of luck. Is there anyone that knows the area that could possibly share some knowledge? We would like to take camp trailers but aren't sure the north end would be the greatest to get them in and out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Is this the same as the new Founland hunt? I have a close family member with a late tag there and we could really use some help with the area. We've scouted a little on the north end but haven't had a ton of luck. Is there anyone that knows the area that could possibly share some knowledge? We would like to take camp trailers but aren't sure the north end would be the greatest to get them in and out.
Different area I believe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats! Seems like you have good offers of help, enjoy for the rest of us who will probably never live long enough to draw a sheep tag!!! My wife has been 1st alt and 2nd alt in CA for a Tule elk tag in the past 3 years, but we had no such luck, I was wondering if it was wrong to hope for someone else to have bad, bad luck so they would turn in the tag when they let us know (here they tell you and you have to send in a CC number in case someone forfeits the tag)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Christmas, 2 months early!

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,341 Posts
YOU LUCKY BASTAGE!!!!! I'd jump all over that. There's some A#1 guys on here that I bet are aching to help you out. Keep us posted and good luck.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts