Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and managed to hit an all-time lucky streak on birds! I had to delay the start of my season by a few weeks this year, but it turned out to be worth the wait. The weekend before the opener my dog Cedar got hung up on a fence and ended up getting a big gash on her side that took a dozen staples to close, so we had to wait until that was all healed up to get out. Finally headed out to the marsh last Friday morning, and it was worth the wait! First 2 birds of the season were nice drake canvasbacks, and as soon as my dog dropped off the second one a pair of geese locked up and came right in, I dropped one and should have had the second but he kept on cruising.

What a way to start the season!! Had a few more birds come in, got a nice pair of bluebills and a single mallard. I really count myself as lucky to have had such a nice start, hope you guys are getting into the birds!

·
Registered
426 Posts
What a great start! Well done, and thanks for sharing.

My season started off with a bang also. 4 great hunts in a row, and then I hit a wall last week with my first skunk of the year.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My season has been a little rocky so far, I haven’t worked up the courage yet to hike in to the potholes that I hunt, although there are not many birds in them nor have I been scouting it.. Iv been a lazy boat hunter lately!

Nice Cans!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Nice birds, Cody, and a great start to your season. I've been out a few times, working pretty hard for little return.

Reactions: Pumpgunner

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! We haven't had any really ducky weather yet, I'm hoping this weekend will change that a bit. Nice ringer Fowl, that's a pretty one!

Reactions: Fowlmouth

·
Registered
169 Posts
I started my season on Monday and so far zilch. Took the week off expecting it to be good. Been to 3 places that have produced in the past, but not this year yet. The only thing to show for it is a bunch of bug bites and frag cuts. Ran out of bug spray on Monday, didn't check it before I left, probably have West Nile, but maybe that will fight the COVID :) Looks like some are having some success, nice C-backs and what a Ringer! Areas I have been used to having success at are still super low on H2O.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Nice Cans! I’d love to get into a few, but where I hunt it’s all puddlers. I will say they are BY FAR easier to clean than divers! One of these days though...

Hoping this weekend’s weather brings some new birds down. I’d be down for some naive fowl.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I towed my canoe behind my bike 5 miles each way yesterday, killed one bird. Considering an ebike since they didn't get banned. Driving out I got a few nice shots.

JAM_5158.jpg

JAM_5160.jpg

JAM_5161.jpg

Reactions: Pumpgunner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts